You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-13 16:47:18

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Interesting Projects

I know you, my fellow archers, are fairly industrious folks.
Cool projects abound.

So here we go. What projects are you working on, or want to work on. There are a few projects that I have been thinking about working on lately. Maybe this will get me motivated, or get me some help. wink

Projects in my head:

_nus - A network update service. Think redhat network (rhn) for archlinux. Remote package management, designed for managing the packages on many disperate servers. Using a python client daemon, and either a php or rails/ruby web interface, with soap communication from the web interface with the clients.

Arch Router - A simplified arch install/package, that would turn arch into a simple router firewall. Possible able to be run from a single read only floppy, or a cd. Likely it would be a script/program that you would use to build the firewall floppy/cd. Then, you could just plop it in your firewall to be box, and boot it. No write access, so if it gets compromised, a clean system is only a reboot away.

Arch Border Firewall - A border firewall/filter device. This would be like above, but would have far more in it. This would likely be more of a how to guide, step by step installation/setup of a virus mail-passthrough, squid proxy, firewall, etc.

Web proxy - I will probably do some more work on my ruby web proxy. Add authentication, and possibly some simple page validation/virus scanning. Might be kinduv neat. I have also considered writing a very simple reverse proxy-cacher. Something that you put in front of apache/lighttpd to cache page requests...

PRIMAL - Personal repository manager. ShadowHand is working with me on the continued improvement of this project.

Ruby Method Completion - Phrakture's request for a ruby tab completion module for ruby.

That is about all that I have kickin around in the grey matter right now..
anyone else with cool projects? Lets try and post some of them..and maybe get motivated to work on a few. wink

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#2 2006-01-13 16:58:06

whatah

Re: Interesting Projects

Add shift-tab completion to bash and make it case insensitive

#3 2006-01-13 17:04:05

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

cactus - seeing as you're all ruby masta, I have an idea for you:
make me a ruby script that, when given a string or file containing a chunk of ruby source, and a snippet like "something.f" will print completions - vim needs a ruby omnifunc.

Get to work monkey!

#4 2006-01-13 18:02:27

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I could probably handle that phrakture. You can email me the particulars...I can add it to my list of things to do.. wink
Maybe put it on the top though..since I think it should be achievable in "cactus time" tongue

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#5 2006-01-13 18:21:28

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

cactus wrote:

I could probably handle that phrakture. You can email me the particulars...I can add it to my list of things to do.. wink
Maybe put it on the top though..since I think it should be achievable in "cactus time" tongue

The particulars aren't much - I can do the vim wrapping and testing and all that crap, I just don't know ruby well enough to even start that.

Do this (not ruby code):

code = "class foo
{
   func bar()
   func baz()
};

f = new foo()"
line = "f.b"

print get_completion(code,line);

should print "[bar, baz]" - bonus points for ending functions with '('

#6 2006-01-13 18:31:22

shadowhand
Website

Cactus forgot to mention PRIMAL, which is a wonder bit of code that I have been integrating into a CMS project that I am working on.

WhiteSlate: A CMS designed for web designers that want a reusable code base for projects. XHTML/CSS template system, module based content system.

You can see the progress of development here: http://whiteslate.no-ip.org I'm using PRIMAL as a development module. The next module will be a blog, followed by a gallery. Once the blog is done, I will start running my site with WhiteSlate as proof that it works outside of the development enviroment.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#7 2006-01-13 18:55:05

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Oh that's right.. another thing on my list..
o.O

crap!

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#8 2006-01-13 18:57:33

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

phrakture wrote:

The particulars aren't much - I can do the vim wrapping and testing and all that crap, I just don't know ruby well enough to even start that.

Do this (not ruby code):

code = "class foo
{
   func bar()
   func baz()
};

f = new foo()"
line = "f.b"

print get_completion(code,line);

should print "[bar, baz]" - bonus points for ending functions with '('

Ok phrak. should be easy enough. I will work on it this weekend.
maybe even start tonight..
then on to primal..
tongue

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#9 2006-01-13 19:14:38

arooaroo
Website

No prizes for guessing what I'm working on...

#10 2006-01-13 19:22:31

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

I've been working on something for myself thats similar to srcpac. Mostly for fun I guess although I really wanted something that was a little more taylored for me. What I'm working on now copies relevant build files into home and builds them there as user instead of root. I also added a menu switch to view/edit the build files -similar to aurbuild. The biggest thing though is that it'll compare installed packages to whats available in abs by searching through it -not by what pacman has in its database. This way I can easily update my entire system as soon as abs is synced instead having to wait for my mirrors to sync. the only problem is that it takes a while to scan through abs (about a minute or two) but I really don't care

Just one of those things I can't stop tinkering with. I'm sure I'll have about 45 revisions before I get it to do exactly what I want then I'll say to myself "why the hell didn't I just do that in the first place?"

#11 2006-01-14 22:16:03

dust
Website

Damnit cactus...I was all set to relax today away behind a really decent book, but now this thread makes me want to get back to work on projects...curses...

Writing stories for a machine.

#12 2006-01-15 05:14:34

awalk

Over the last couple of weeks I've been tinkering with the idea of writing a shell in Python (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=17016). If all goes well, it'll allow for easy access the Python standard library, unpickle pickled objects returned from subshells (implemented), and execute inline Python (half implemented).
Lots of fun, especially since I've never really looked into lexical analysis or parsing in great detail before (beyond using lex/yacc). <3 finite automata.

I started writing (and am still sort of considering writing...) a modified backend for Pacman, using SQLite and FUSE (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=16292). Never got any feedback, so I figured nobody felt it would be worthwhile. Maybe when I'm bored one day.

Board footer