You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-13 17:48:01

Moo-Crumpus

voteable user ranking :)

How about a user ranking, for helpfullness, cleverness, infamy, crudeness.
Add geek and nerd factors. Have five to zero stars for each...
In my current form, I would lead in infamy and crudeness, I fear.

I think I should take a forum vacation.

Have a nice time,

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#2 2006-01-13 17:55:36

jakob

Re: voteable user ranking :)

hm we had the ranking system in a vbulletin board once cause the admin wanted to try this function but i happen to dislike this ...

#3 2006-01-13 19:09:27

arooaroo
Website

In theory, I quite like the idea, but in reality, I expect its usage will not warrant the effort to get it up and running. How long before ranking disputes start cropping up all over the place. We see it occasionally with people on IRC posting here to complain about being banned or suchlike.

#4 2006-01-13 21:05:54

Komodo

I think it's a bad idea personally.. it would be kind of fun, but it might bias peoples' responses to one-another.

I think voting should occur when someone applies to join a usergroup (although Mods should still be able to overrule a vote if necessary).

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#5 2006-01-13 22:19:21

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Topic moved from 'Off Topic'.

Its an interesting idea I've wondered about before. Perhaps a better solution would be to allow users to evaluate *posts* rather than other users. The flammage is bad enough as is. However, the only current indicator of "how useful is this poster's information" we have is post count, and this isn't much of a measure. For example, look at the number of useless posts I can push out in a day. ;-)

Having a line after each post allowing a user to mark the post as "crude", "informative", "helpful", "offensive", "interesting", "intelligent", etc could be useful. Most people would ignore it unless they come across a post that really stands out. Each of these could be cumulatively added up and a weighted score created for each user.

Problem: This is way more trouble than its going to be worth, and dibble's already overworked! Also, it could be abused, I suppose. But we don't have too much abuse on these forums.

Dusty

#6 2006-01-13 23:27:39

ozar

I know that some users don't really like the user rating systems being implemented on some of the boards that I visit but I wouldn't be opposed to such a system as long as those users that don't like it can disable it in their profile if they'd rather not be rated.

oz

#7 2006-01-14 01:02:09

Komodo

ozar wrote:

those users that don't like it can disable it in their profile if they'd rather not be rated.

That's a good idea ozar, but it means that unless a person revels in their bad reputation, they are likely to disable the voting system for themselves as soon as they acquire an overall negative ranking.

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#8 2006-01-14 16:29:01

ozar

Komodo wrote:

That's a good idea ozar, but it means that unless a person revels in their bad reputation, they are likely to disable the voting system for themselves as soon as they acquire an overall negative ranking.

Hi, Komodo... that may be, but I'd think that any user that really doesn't want to be rated would disable such a scheme immediately rather than waiting to see how popular or unpopular they are with the other members.

If there is to be any "rating system" implemented at all, I think Dusty's idea of rating each post (or maybe even entire threads) would be much better than resorting to rating our individual members.

Its an interesting idea I've wondered about before. Perhaps a better solution would be to allow users to evaluate *posts* rather than other users.

oz

#9 2006-01-17 18:26:49

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

I am generally against it - it's a nice idea but official integration raises too many issues.  However!  If there was an external feedback system, where users of these boards could be rated that'd be a lot better, I think smile

#10 2006-01-18 10:39:33

Annette

There exist some ranking_mods for phpbb2

#11 2006-01-18 18:42:08

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Annette wrote:

There exist some ranking_mods for phpbb2

Indeed, but as I said, offical integration raises too many issues, not least abuse and maintenance.  Sorry.

Board footer