You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-29 00:09:50

Multimoon

KDE does not recognize brightness keys.

Hey guys. Went back to KDE, but I'm having one issue that irritates me. My brightness control works perfectly fine using my brightness  keys, and KDE's power manager, but I have a issue that irritates the hell out of me. KDE does not recognize the brightness keybinds what so ever. Example: I press FN F6(Brightness up), and the brightness is increased by the kernel in the tiny default increment. But KDE does nothing, nor does KDE realize the brightness has changed. But then I can also use KDE's slider to change brightness fine. I played abit with KDE's keybinds, and it recognizes the keybind as "Brightness Up" when I bind it, but the bind itself does not work. To test, I set brightness up to open a terminal, failed to do so. So KDE isnt intercepting the binds. These are the ONLY two binds I notice that it doesent intercept. This is a KDE only issue, Gnome's backends handle it fine. Any help in getting KDE to handle the bind would be fantastic. Thanks.

It always makes me laugh when people complain and rage over any distro's management ideal, when this is a linux community, and you could always make your own distro and experience the pains yourself.

#2 2013-11-29 19:18:46

Multimoon

Re: KDE does not recognize brightness keys.

I've also been through the log, I see no issues reporting the keys. Seems as if KDE just refuses to read the binds.

It always makes me laugh when people complain and rage over any distro's management ideal, when this is a linux community, and you could always make your own distro and experience the pains yourself.

#3 2013-11-29 19:35:09

TheSaint

It would help if you tell what is you PC model and other hardware details.
I have an Asus G75VX and it seems doing something like you mention.
When I put acpi_osi= on kernel command line I get the fn+F5 and fn+F6 working. If I don't then it does adjust the brightness even with xbacklight but then I don't have the function keys recognized.

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#4 2013-11-29 19:46:54

Multimoon

I have a Asus X202E. Asus netbooks seem to have historically had issues with the backlight under linux. A few kernel versions ago, backlight control did not work whatsoever, so I remember playing around with the ACPI OSI options alot, though it was all patched in kernel 3.9. Its odd that this affects only KDE though. Using a null OSI doesent affect KDE at all, the change it does make though, is to KDE, brightness 0 is now Minimum brightness, while previously brightness 0 was screen off. I'll try some of the other options such as osi=legacy, etc.

#5 2013-11-29 20:04:22

TheSaint

When I put acpi_osi= on kernel I have a 100% brightness and KDE doesn't control it, but it shows the OSD changing.
Probably I should find what all of these acpi_osi are for and what they do.

do it good first, it will be faster than do it twice the saint wink

#6 2013-11-30 13:48:31

Multimoon

I've tried all the options I remember from when the backlight was broken completely, none seem to affect KDE.

Board footer