You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-30 05:14:58

Duodecillian

bspwm does not work with multiple environments in slim

Situation:
I am currently using i3, I'd like to be able to use bspwm as well, however I cannot get it to work with slim when I have another environment I'd like to cycle to.

Problem:
When I use slim and try to log into bspwm it either hangs or loops. (For clarification: Slim + bspwm = working | slim + bspwm + another environment = non working)

Configs:
bspwm.desktop
xinitrc
slim.conf

Notes:
-This is a reproducible problem, on irc.freenode.net #bspwm, another user who has bspwm installed, installed slim, and when he changed his xinitrc to exec $1 (which is necessary according to the wiki) He also experienced the exact same problems that I am having.

-I'm not sure if this is allowed, but I actually have a reddit thread where I have a decent amount of info on some of the things I've tried. (to no avail of course).

-I'm obviously willing to provide any additional info that I can, but at the same time. I'm not nearly as experienced as a lot of you seem to be, so I may need clarification on some of the things you say/request.

Thank you.

#2 2013-11-30 18:26:56

kardia

Re: bspwm does not work with multiple environments in slim

Looking at your .desktop file, you're telling it to execute xinitrc, but I think you want it to execute bspwm directly.

Basically, SLiM is executing .xinitrc, which is calling bspwm.desktop, which in turns calls .xinitrc causing the loop. Try changing your bspwm.desktop to:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=BSPWM
Comment=Binary Space Partitioning Window Manager
Exec=bspwm
Type=XSession

Having the .desktop do xinitrc would work if you were using GDM and your .xinitrc only had bspwm in it.

#3 2013-11-30 18:59:29

Duodecillian

I've tried that as well.
With
Exec=xinitrc, slim loops and I can choose a different WM
With
Exec=bspwm, slim hangs, after which, I then have to go to another TTY and kill X to use Slim again.

and just for extra info, I've tried changing Xsession to Application, but it didn't change anything either.

I actually had this in the post originally, but I accidentally deleted everything and restarted and forgot to include that bit, sorry.

Last edited by Duodecillian (2013-11-30 19:00:09)

#4 2014-01-31 06:54:55

rationalwasp

I think I have solved this issue. Set up an executable file with sxhdk & and exec bspwm, and point to it with your bspwm.desktop file instead of putting the aforementioned commands in your xinitrc. It seems to be working for me, however I might be missing something.

Board footer