You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-14 06:47:47

xaos5

bios update problem (memory manager)

I'm trying to install arch on a sony vaio pcv-e203 desktop pc. When ever I enable legacy usb support linux becomes very stubborn and gives a bunch of problems. current version of the bios is 6.0.B, I'm trying to update to 6.0.K to try and fix these problems. I'm getting an error that googling can't seem to fix. It launches the bios flash utility and rom file fine, but then gives an error that it can't flash due to a memory manager being in use.
First I tryed using a windows 98 boot disc instead, which failed with the same error. I read somewhere you can disable himem in config.sys file but the file is blank and i'm not sure what to add. This could be a kernel command to go around this too.
Symptoms with usb legacy support enabled:
vga=773 results in black screen and locks keyboard
locks up at checking if initrd..... (memory failing me, there was more to that line)

disable it seems to work fine, no usb at post or grub until linux boots. within xorg the mouse lags very bad (PS/2 and USB). everything else works and seems upto speed.

thanks in advance if anybody can help.

#2 2006-01-14 07:53:34

xaos5

Re: bios update problem (memory manager)

ok nevermind the above post, I found a utility to make a bootdisk that works from bootdisk.com all my problems went away and am typing this from enlightenment as we speak.

Board footer