You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-14 11:43:46

Birdman

Shutdown / reboot?

As you say - No question too stupid  wink

I am curious to know how most people shutdown / reboot their boxes?

I have a family box. My wife and I currently use Slackware 10.2 as our defualt (soon to arch when I have fully got my head around it) and my daughter uses WinXP (sorry, I have done my best to be a good parent  wink  ).  We always boot into console mode and type 'startx' to launch our preferred window managers (xfce4 for me and kde for my wife). I have configured sudo to allow us both as users to shutdown the box and I have simplified things for my wife by placing the commands into two different scripts. This means that

sudo sdown

or

sudo rboot

will do the job.

Now, I could very easily replicate this idea on arch, but that would be too easy  smile  I could consider using a graphical login manager. Given the above, what other solutions are people using for ease of use?

#2 2006-01-14 12:16:14

tomfitzyuk

Re: Shutdown / reboot?

I never use a graphical login manager because if there's a problem with X you'll have to boot using a system rescue CD.

I do what you do on your Slackware machine, just boot to console and end up having to type 'startx'.

To shutdown I close X I just:
sudo shutdown -h now

#3 2006-01-14 12:36:53

pikass

tomfitzyuk wrote:

I never use a graphical login manager because if there's a problem with X you'll have to boot using a system rescue CD.

You can always switch to tty if x crashes. If not you can kill x via magic keys. Only possibility I know this do not work is a broken keyboard driver but that is not related to x so you will have the problem without x too.

Conclusion: your efforts are stylish but useless.

edit: ok, you are right if x at start causes a kernel panic. (/me would boot into rl 3)

#4 2006-01-14 13:02:07

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

I rarely shutdown anymore, but I have halt and reboot aliased to sudo halt and sudo shutdown in my .bashrc.

#5 2006-01-14 13:39:58

Moo-Crumpus

I allways use gdm. If there is a problem with X, gdm will try to start in different modes, and give up then. After that, you can simply log into console without any cd voodoo.

And I never have trouble with X.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#6 2006-01-14 13:55:35

Birdman

Moo-Crumpus wrote:

I allways use gdm. If there is a problem with X, gdm will try to start in different modes, and give up then. After that, you can simply log into console without any cd voodoo.

So how do you shutdown your box?

I had a play around with debian over the New Year (I really wanted to like it but it was too far away from my Slackware roots) and used gdm. To shutdown I always had to enter a root password - not a problem for me but not good for a family box where I do not wish to advertise the root password.

BTW: As you have probably guessed, I am comfortable with rl3 but like to keep an open mind and wondered whether there was an 'arch' solution I should know about.

#7 2006-01-14 14:21:37

tomk
Forum Fellow

There's an xfce4 solution here - that's what I usually use.

#8 2006-01-14 14:27:35

Birdman

tomk wrote:

There's an xfce4 solution here - that's what I usually use.

Thanks tomk, I'll have a play with this  smile

#9 2006-01-14 17:50:49

Moo-Crumpus

Birdman wrote:
Moo-Crumpus wrote:

So how do you shutdown your box?

Me, my wife and kids all use normal user accounts and just tell gnome / gdm to shut down the computer. There is a button for it, pal. smilesmile

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#10 2006-01-14 20:14:38

Birdman

Moo-Crumpus wrote:

Me, my wife and kids all use normal user accounts and just tell gnome / gdm to shut down the computer. There is a button for it, pal. smilesmile

Aah! When I tried gdm with debian the button requested root password - hence the question. gdm is now a possible alternative. Thanks.

#11 2006-01-15 00:50:25

limpio

From the console: startx
From the terminal: sudo halt

same for Debian.

#12 2006-01-15 02:46:36

Shofs

pikass wrote:

you can kill x via magic keys.

What do you mean?

I just go quit X and then give the good old three-finger-salute.

#13 2006-01-15 08:18:53

Annette

Birdman wrote:
Moo-Crumpus wrote:

Aah! When I tried gdm with debian the button requested root password - hence the question. gdm is now a possible alternative. Thanks.

Ah, I remember, debian had little updates lately ... smile I think since gnome 2.0 you no longer need to patch your fs or add root permissions to shutdown.

#14 2006-01-15 08:37:07

ozar

I usually poweroff with:  sudo shutdown -h now

...and do reboots with:  sudo shutdown -r now

oz

#15 2006-02-21 05:51:11

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Shofs wrote:

I just go quit X and then give the good old three-finger-salute.

"Ctrl-Alt Del", I always do.

Markku

#16 2006-02-22 14:03:55

ibrahim

Birdman wrote:

I had a play around with debian over the New Year (I really wanted to like it but it was too far away from my Slackware roots) and used gdm. To shutdown I always had to enter a root password - not a problem for me but not good for a family box where I do not wish to advertise the root password.

You could install sudo then edit your sudoers file to allow certain people to execute shutdown with either their user password or no password. But gnome lets users shutdown anyway so I wouldn't think you'll need to do that

#17 2006-02-22 18:02:12

_Gandalf_

tomfitzyuk wrote:

[...]

Thats not true at all man, you can do Many things other than using a rescue disc!!
1) Always have a recovery mode in your grub/lilo entry if anything goes wrong, you can always boot without any daemon and restore ur system.. just add single to your kernel options

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux (recovery mode)
root   (hd0,4)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda6 ro single
initrd /initrd26.img

2) switching to a tty ( Ctrl + Alf + F[1-6] )
etc ... big_smile

anyway I always use reboot/shutdown in my gnome session, best solution :mrgreen:

Board footer