You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-12 10:47:23

lydgate

mutt 1.5.10i

Okay, this is my favorite E-mail client ever.  I switched from Thunderbird like 2 months ago and I love it.  But the one in the Arch repository is a pretty old version 1.4, and there is a CVS one in AUR but I don't want CVS, I want 1.5.10i release, so here it is.  Also, I made some decisions on it: slang > ncurses, gpgme > pgp, gnutls > openssl, sasl2, no pop (I don't use pop), and the hcache (it caches IMAP headers, makes everything super fast). 

Some of those were uninformed decisions, I just decided to switch to the stuff that seemed new and trendier.  Feel free to criticize my decisions, I'd like to hear good opinions on openssl vs gnutls etc.

Oh I also disabled nls which is the language support, because I only use it in English.

Anyway, so maybe posting very customized builds like this isn't good, but it's very easy to change, so set it to the options you want.  I put the basic options in there commented out, that should be ok for basic users.

# Maintainer: dorphell <dorphell@archlinux.org>
# Modified by: lydgate
pkgname=mutt
pkgver=1.5.10
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A small but very powerful text-based mail client"
url="http://www.mutt.org/"
depends=('gnutls' 'libidn' 'gdbm' 'gpgme')
makedepends=('gnupg')
source=(ftp://ftp.mutt.org/mutt/devel/$pkgname-${pkgver}i.tar.gz)
md5sums=('59400d12c6b5b3d122531000e53d1914')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
#  ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc 
#    --enable-pop --enable-imap --with-ssl --enable-pgp

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --enable-gpgme 
     --enable-imap --enable-hcache --disable-nls --with-slang 
     --with-regex --with-gss --with-gnutls --with-sasl2
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
  rm -f $startdir/pkg/usr/bin/{flea,muttbug}
}

#2 2006-01-12 23:01:24

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: mutt 1.5.10i

lydgate wrote:

Okay, this is my favorite E-mail client ever.  I switched from Thunderbird like 2 months ago and I love it.  But the one in the Arch repository is a pretty old version 1.4, and there is a CVS one in AUR but I don't want CVS, I want 1.5.10i release

Next time a package is out of date, go to the package page (do a search in http://www.archlinux.org/packages.php) and flag it out of date (if it's not already flagged). I just flagged it so the maintainer is notified.

lydgate wrote:

Anyway, so maybe posting very customized builds like this isn't good,

Yeah, you should refrain from posting customized PKGBUILDs in the forum.

#3 2006-01-12 23:08:39

lydgate

Thanks, it's already flagged out of date.  I just realized that 1.5.10i is technically a devel version, does this mean that it won't be updated until it is considered stable?  What should I do about the above PKGBUILD?  Modify it to reasonable defaults, remove it, or what?

#4 2006-01-12 23:17:18

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

lydgate wrote:

Thanks, it's already flagged out of date.

Yes I flagged it a minute ago. tongue

lydgate wrote:

I just realized that 1.5.10i is technically a devel version, does this mean that it won't be updated until it is considered stable?

Maybe I shouldn't have flagged it... :? I think it's up to the dev: he can unflag it, update to 1.5.10i or wait until a stable version. In any case, it's better to wait for a stable version before flagging a package out-of-date.

lydgate wrote:

What should I do about the above PKGBUILD?  Modify it to reasonable defaults, remove it, or what?

Leave it as is. It might be useful for someone.

#5 2006-01-12 23:26:20

lydgate

Thanks for your quick response.  I'm learning as I go.  Mutt seems to be one of those programs that gets very few stable releases, 1.4.2.1 (the one currently packaged) is from Feb 2004.  But as you said, it's the maintainer's discretion, so perhaps he knows more than I do.  I just thought someone might want a PKGBUILD for the devel release, as currently I've had some issues compiling the CVS and 1.4.2.1 lacks features I use.

#6 2006-01-12 23:32:06

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Maybe mutt 1.5 can be put into [unstable], as that's underused, and the exact reason it's there for

#7 2006-01-14 20:11:21

neri
Forum Fellow

phrakture wrote:

Maybe mutt 1.5 can be put into [unstable], as that's underused, and the exact reason it's there for

There is where it used to be, untill I kicked it  :evil:
No seriously, we replaced mutt-devel with muttng a while ago, since muttng had all the patches in devel and some more. Soon after the -ng project appeared, mutt-devel incorporated all the nice features people where urging for. Now, muttng is still on top of devel, I think, but it's development technically stopped as muttng. There is a complete rewrite for muttng in progress (C->C++) and it will take some time until this will become a new release. Coming from that background I think it's a nice idea to bring mutt-devel back.

-neri

Board footer