Hi, i'm trying to ouput to dwm-pango default status bar some colored info like date and time. I patched the dwm.c file with this correctly because I didn't get errors.
Trying this simple example below the bar outputs literally the string, without escaping.
xsetroot -name "\033[1;36mHELLO"
Does the patch work with pango patched dwm?
If yes, can somebody, kindly, explain me how to output colors to the statusbar?`
I have no experience with that patch. I think it's a rather ugly approach to having colors, I think you might better go with statuscolors patch, however it will require some modifications to get going with Pango.
Is there a specific reason for using DWM Pango? If not, it will again be easier to use XFT instead of it.
Thank you for the answers. As I am a newbie I don't know the difference beetween pango and xft, i took the first one with TTF/OTF support.
Anyway, I manged to install dwm with xft patch and I was looking at statuscolor patch instructions, but I didn't understand if I can change the color of the text or only the background.
You can change both with statuscolors. This one works with an XFT patched DWM: https://github.com/Unia/DWM/blob/master … olors.diff
Look at the config.h in the same GitHub repository to see how I set the colors. Applying them uses escape codes like below, just put them in your status script:
\x01 FIRST COLOR \x02 SECOND COLOR \xN N'TH COLOR
Thanks, mhhm someting goes wrong with the patch.
I copied your diff to src folder, where there is dwm.c, and I did this and the output:
patch -Np1 < ../02-dwm-6.0-statuscolors.diff can't find file to patch at input line 3 Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option? The text leading up to this was: -------------------------- |--- dwm.c.orig 2013-03-30 22:57:38.146738373 +0100 |+++ dwm.c 2013-03-30 23:04:34.136731375 +0100 -------------------------- File to patch: dwm.c patching file dwm.c Hunk #1 succeeded at 49 (offset -1 lines). Hunk #2 succeeded at 101 (offset -1 lines). Hunk #3 succeeded at 178 (offset -12 lines). Hunk #4 FAILED at 782. Hunk #5 succeeded at 771 (offset -55 lines). Hunk #6 succeeded at 808 (offset -55 lines). Hunk #7 FAILED at 886. Hunk #8 succeeded at 878 (offset -55 lines). Hunk #9 succeeded at 1146 (offset -54 lines). Hunk #10 succeeded at 1614 (offset -54 lines). Hunk #11 FAILED at 1745. Hunk #12 succeeded at 1771 (offset -65 lines). 3 out of 12 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file dwm.c.rej
Anyway thank you again for the reply!
You're not using pertag2, I guess. Open up my patch and change every instance of
tags[i].name to tags[i]
Then it should work, I think. If not, please paste the failing parts.
with the ansistatuscolors patch, if setting colors from a shell script, you have to type "Ctrl-v ESC" to create the \033 character. when you type it in it looks like '^['
so it will look like 'xsetroot -name "^[[1;36mHELLO" ', which prints out in a light blue color.
I've only compiled it with vanilla dwm as I use artwiz fonts, but i suspect that patching it with the ansistatuscolors patch first would be successful, since all of the code is in a big chunk at the bottom of the dwm.c file.
Edit: I just tried it and it looks like it would require some tweaking. It patches fine but doesn't compile.
Last edited by la11111 (2013-12-05 20:21:02)