You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-08 05:41:10

whitewizard

Arch completely freezes when I run certain applications

Arch completely freezes when I open Steam or when I attempt to play a YouTube video. They will open, but shortly thereafter Arch will freeze entirely and the only solution is to hold down the power button on my computer.

My computer's specs:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT 520
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

Thank you in advance for your help.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
- Douglas Adams

#2 2013-12-08 05:55:32

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Arch completely freezes when I run certain applications

Is there anything in your logs or journal? What driver are you using for your Nvidia card? Have you tried the other one? Can you SSH in and run top when it locks up?
In short, what troubleshooting have you tried?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2013-12-08 06:02:17

whitewizard

Nothing shows up in the xorg logs. I'm using Nouveau for my video driver. I tried to set up the proprietary Nvidia driver, but I encountered problems. When I attempted installation, I would always get an error that said, "Unable to build the Nvidia kernal module."

I haven't tried to SSH in, but I doubt that I will be able to, seeing as I cannot even toggle the number lock function on my keyboard. The whole system seems to  become completely unresponsive.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
- Douglas Adams

#4 2013-12-08 09:29:20

karol
Archivist

Check systemd's journal.

If you want help with nvidia, I think it's best to open a separate thread. We should start with why on earth can't you install and run the proprietary drivers. nvidia will give you better gaming performance then nouveau.

#5 2013-12-08 21:56:48

whitewizard

I checked systemd's journal and the consistent factor that stands out in the entries is the first thing on every list: "Failed to open private bus connection: Failed to connect to socket /run/user/1000/dbus/user_bus_socket: No such file or directory"

As for the problems with the Nvidia drivers, I have no idea. Although, after a quick search on Google, I've found that apparently I'm not the only one with similar issues.

Thank you for replying.

EDIT: I now have the Nvidia drivers installed. I used a patch that I found deep within the Nvidia forums. Now I'm going to try the applications out to see if they work.

Last edited by whitewizard (2013-12-08 22:14:34)

- Douglas Adams

#6 2013-12-08 21:59:06

karol
Archivist

I get this journalctl message too and it seems harmless.
Please tell u what exactly goes wrong when you try to install nvidia drivers.

#7 2013-12-08 22:31:18

whitewizard

Okay, I have the Nvidia drivers installed now, but the problems continue. When on YouTube or Steam, my computer either completely freezes or turns itself off.
I used conky while running Steam and YouTube, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Now I'm going to get a system monitor that monitors heat. I don't think anything is overheating, but I'll check anyway.

- Douglas Adams

Board footer