You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-10 22:37:40

joju

Reboot after Shutdown

Hi.

I have a problem with my Thinkpad S531 laptop. If I try to shutdown my device, it reboots instantly after shutdown. The only way to avoid this issue is to plug a USB stick in the port before starting the shutdown process. I don't use acpid or laptop-mode-tools. My system runs in UEFI-only mode.

Cheers.

#2 2013-12-11 05:25:34

harshsahil48

Re: Reboot after Shutdown

Are you dualbooting with windows 7?
Install laptop-mode-tools.

Try:

sudo nano /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/runtime-pm.conf

Add or replace this directive:

CONTROL_RUNTIME_PM="0"

Also, does systemd's log have anything interesting to say?

Last edited by harshsahil48 (2013-12-11 05:28:47)

Never forget~Never forgive

#3 2013-12-11 05:29:37

harshsahil48

Also install systemd-sysvcompat. This might fix the problem.

Never forget~Never forgive

#4 2013-12-11 05:55:59

WonderWoofy

I don't think that either of these things above will solve your problem.  In fact I don't know even how you would begin to debug such an issue.  I actually had this same exact thing going on (though I never thought to plug in a USB flash drive).  Eventually, the issue just disappeared.  But when it was happening I thought long and hard as to how I was to debug an issue that basically happens in the firmware, and I couldn't come up with anything.

I believe it was a kernel update that eventually made the problem disappear, but I'm not sure what would have changed to make it go away.  You might want to give the LTS kernel a whirl and see if things are different.

What I did notice though was that a reboot was actually different than the shutdown→reboot.  A reboot would immediately just start the POST again, while a shutdown would actually stall just for a very brief moment between powering down and then back up. 

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I don't think that the advice above will actually get you anywhere.  Besides, since the E531 is a pretty new machine, I imagine that the initial installation was well after the switch to systemd, so the systemd-sysvcompat package would have been installed automatically.

Board footer