You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-14 02:20:43

kitsune

ownCloud alternatives?

Hello everyone,

I have been using ownCloud on my server for a while and everythings works fine.
I am just curious to know if there are other opensource projects like owncloud and your comments.

Thanks.

#2 2013-11-14 02:24:36

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: ownCloud alternatives?

I had never looked into it, but a quick search reveals that there are some available out there, though I have no experience with them. Are there ones you are interested in, or have you not looked at all?

All the best,

-HG

#3 2013-11-14 02:55:07

kitsune

I did a quick search but no one has the same features as owncloud.
I am looking for a self-hosted cloud server with files sync(with android app support), calendar, music streaming and a gallery for the photos.
So far I can do everything described with owncloud, and I was wondering if there are similar software.

#4 2013-11-19 13:53:12

vladthedog

I use BTSync.  It's not "the same" as ownCloud, but it does have android support.  In fact, I really like how it works on android.  Plus you can easily get it up and running on about any linux system.  I had it running on my Pi for a while.

#5 2013-12-12 08:53:56

replax

Actually, there is an "alternative", it is called Seafile: http://seafile.com/en/home/.
The source is here: https://github.com/haiwen/seafile
And the aur files: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/seafile-server/

I have not tried it yet, though, but considered trying it in the future. A friend of mine, who did test it, said that it was not as "polished" as OC is now..
Competition is good though, I hope they share a lot of knowledge wink

Last edited by replax (2013-12-12 08:55:00)

#6 2013-12-12 09:30:53

Runiq

There are quite a lost of alternatives on prism-break.org.

Last edited by Runiq (2013-12-12 09:31:01)

#7 2013-12-12 18:04:34

Slithery
Administrator

I use AjaXplorer.

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#8 2013-12-23 17:15:10

zatricky
Website

I'm still using DropBox because I'm not (yet) exceeding the free diskspace requirements. I'll probably continue to use it until I'm finally happy with the reliability of whatever other tools I'd be using.

I tried ownCloud. Unfortunately I've had far too many issues with ownCloud that I haven't yet stopped using DropBox (random re-upload, random re-download, random deletion!! (1)). In looking into oC's issues on github I've realised that ownCloud has no built-in transactionality and has sub-par metadata. When I tried to promote the issue (2) where hashing the content would help, I got lots of excuses that it is a) unnecessary, b) won't help much, and c) will cause other issues. This despite that there are a few elegant solutions and proposals floating throughout the respository.

Unfortunately, as a result of the above, I just don't yet see oC as a reliable tool.

I got btSync going on Friday (took about an hour to set it up on 2x Windows PCs, 1x Arch Desktop, 1x Ubuntu server, and even my Android phone!). I've found it to be pretty awesome. The only thing I'm not too happy with is that you can't (yet) deploy your own personal tracker. You can currently bypass this requirement (3) on all but the Android app so it isn't *that* bad. Bittorrent's track record indicates it is *possible* (however unlikely) that they will release the source - but at the very least that they *are* likely to release the tracker spec.

Other apps I'd like to check out still before finally picking one (I like btSync so far - but that doesn't mean its the one I'll stick with):
Seafile
SparkleShare
SpiderOak
TeamDrive
Bitcasa (not sure if you can host this yourself)
Syncany

1) In South Africa, bandwidth at home is limited!
2) https://github.com/owncloud/mirall/issues/110
3) Setting a "predefined" host allows peer exchange to sort out the rest - if you have a (generally) publically-addressible server this then allows the sync to work very well (even remotely) without a tracker.

Last edited by zatricky (2013-12-23 17:18:10)

pacman russian roulette: yes | pacman -Rcs $(pacman -Q | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))
(yes, I know its broken)

#9 2014-02-27 04:08:49

dunkles

Dropbox, i have 56 GB smile

#10 2014-02-27 05:34:07

zatricky
Website

I deleted 99% of my dropbox the weekend - its down to about 15MB. I find the "Share Dropbox link" feature very convenient so I'll probably continue using Dropbox for that.

I still want to check out some more of the alternatives - but BTsync is still working awesomely. smile

pacman russian roulette: yes | pacman -Rcs $(pacman -Q | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))
(yes, I know its broken)

Board footer