You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-09 08:57:07

pbw

gobolinux

Up until the other day i hadn't heard/checked out any information regarding this distribution. A friend pointed me to the website, saying he heard some good things and i have to say it looks quite interesting to say the least.

I was wondering if any archers out there have some experience regarding gobolinux and wish to share it. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happily married to arch as my main distro, and have been for some time now.. But i like to tinker with other distributions from time to time just to see what's out there. Thinking of slapping this up on a spare partition and seeing how it goes.

ps. i did do a search prior to making this thread, but the last time it was discussed was a year back.

-- pbw

#2 2006-01-09 09:39:48

postlogic
Website

Re: gobolinux

I haven't tried it, but the concept looks interesting. However, I think I'd have hell having to rethink how the filesystem hierarchy is built up. I like it the old sch00l way, heh.

But it's a nice idea. Probably easier for users moving from another OS.

#3 2006-01-09 10:00:25

Gullible Jones

It's an interesting idea, and it has some advantages (i.e. reduces the need for package management), but it looks a bit clumsy when implemented on *nix IMO. And the way that the Gobo people do it - using directories that have large names containing capital letters - has the potential to become a big pain.

#4 2006-01-09 10:07:42

pbw

Gullible: yeah, i noticed that since posting while reading up on it a bit more. It does say zsh (their default) is configured with case sensitivity turned off by default however.

And postlogic: i agree with you there.

Just as one of the reviews i peeked at said, it's cool to see a distro taking a fairly original approach, rather than seeing yet another debian based apt distro.

Anyone actually gave it a shot?

#5 2006-01-09 11:17:09

postlogic
Website

When looking at it for the second time, this reminds me of Windows' Program Files folder. A bit nasty, but it's a very nice approach to finding where everything is.

However, won't this end up in a shitload of multiple libraries and stuff, if every program is contained within their own catalog? I mean, as far as I can see, there's no common lib-dir.

#6 2006-01-09 11:40:15

pbw

Keep in mind I havent yet tried it at all postlogic, but i was wondering same thing you were and saw this.

osnews comment wrote:

its shared libs all the way.

/programs/"app or lib"/"version"/

then its all symlinked into diffrent areas under /system that again is used as a basis for symlinking the classical dirs under / (to help with compatiblity for cranky apps).

#7 2006-01-09 13:16:41

shadowhand
Website

It's a nice idea, but the package management scripts are a joke.

·¬»· i am shadowhand, powered by webfaction

#8 2006-01-09 13:19:55

postlogic
Website

shadowhand wrote:

It's a nice idea, but the package management scripts are a joke.

*hugs pacman*

#9 2006-01-09 16:01:31

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Personally, I dislike the directory changes, however - I could see how it would draw some people.
Regardless, I like gobolinux alot.  They do alot of very cool work - such as themeable initscripts, and they had the modalias module loading about a month before I saw anyone else with something similar.

I give them props.

#10 2006-01-10 04:36:21

deficite

I tried it once. One word describes it: pain. I'd rather use Ucraptu or Genpoo.

#11 2006-01-13 23:02:10

Komodo

deficite wrote:

Ucraptu or Genpoo.

I always swallow hard when reading your latest inflammatory wordage, deficite  wink

Ubuntu's a really great distribution imo, especially for newcomers to the world of linux. True it's not as comprehensive as mandriva or suse, but it's sufficiently hand-holding that you aren't overwhelmed, yet adequately challenging that you're forced to learn bash commands too.

Gentoo is a nice idea, but tbh I don't see the point in it really... the speed difference between i686 optimized packages and a self-compiled system is so minimal that it really isn't worth the LENGTHY compilation times associated with gentoo.

Gobolinux sounds like a quite cool idea, and I actually think the new file hierarchy really makes sense; I'd be interested to hear phrakture's reasons for disliking it. I immensely loathe the capitalised path names though, regardless of whether or not zsh has case-insensitive completion wink

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#12 2006-01-14 14:29:24

pbw

phrakture wrote:

Regardless, I like gobolinux alot.  They do alot of very cool work - such as themeable initscripts, and they had the modalias module loading about a month before I saw anyone else with something similar.

I give them props.

#13 2006-01-14 18:53:52

Komodo

It irritates me when people simply quote others, with no extra effort to comment. What are you saying pbw, that phrakture's view is the same as your own?

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#14 2006-01-14 18:58:29

LB06

Komodo wrote:

It irritates me when people simply quote others, with no extra effort to comment. What are you saying pbw, that phrakture's view is the same as your own?

I think he was pointing out that Phrakture already made his view clear regarding this subject. (Since you said you were interested in his reasons)

On topic: I also gave gobo linux (well their website) a quick look when I was in one of my "I want to try something new and refreshing" stages smile. While the concept may be interesting for newbies, I have never been particulary attracted to this philosophy. I like package managers, especially the one with which I have installed 95% of my current software smile

#15 2006-01-14 19:13:55

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

LB06 wrote:
Komodo wrote:

I think he was pointing out that Phrakture already made his view clear regarding this subject. (Since you said you were interested in his reasons)

No... Phrakture said he liked gobo but not their file heirarchy and then Komodo asked why he didn't like the file heirarchy, and then pbw was saying "ah but phrakture odes like gobo, see: <provides quote>". But that's not what Komodo was actually asking for.

*phew* that was a mouthful!

Dusty

#16 2006-01-14 20:26:43

Komodo

LB06 wrote:
Komodo wrote:

...but he didn't say why he didn't like it - he said

phrakture wrote:

Personally, I dislike the directory changes, however - I could see how it would draw some people.

...and then went on to state some other reasons why he liked Gobo.

I was asking why he didn't like the new file hierarchy  wink

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#17 2006-01-14 21:56:32

hotsauce

Komodo wrote:

It irritates me when people simply quote others, with no extra effort to comment.

#18 2006-01-14 21:57:02

hotsauce

ok ok, that wasn't funny I know  :oops:

#19 2006-01-15 01:02:13

kriga

I've tried Gobo. It's a intresting system. But in the end it's too painfull for people who git used to their standard *nix dir structure. It felt not "natural" for me.
But I have a lot of respect for the gobo crew. It good that people try to find new ways of using open source software. Because this is the main aim behind this openess  big_smile

My two cent

#20 2006-01-15 09:01:21

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

The reason I dislike the directory changes is mainly because the existing directory layout is standardized (FHS).  Even though it installs symlinks to the proper places to still work with the FHS, it still goes against it.

There really isn't much to it besides the fact that it's too drastic a change.  Still, I commend them for what they do.  In fact, I use the live CD every so often.

#21 2006-01-15 12:09:29

Komodo

phrakture wrote:

The reason I dislike the directory changes is mainly because the existing directory layout is standardized (FHS).  Even though it installs symlinks to the proper places to still work with the FHS, it still goes against it.

Ok, fair enough  wink

.oO Komodo Dave Oo.

#22 2006-01-16 18:08:13

rizzix

A bit off topic, but gobo linux vaguely remembles pcbsd

Where www.pcbsd.org and their www.pbidir.com is by far the simplest and coolest package managment system I've seen to date. =P

Too bad they are KDE based. ugh! And their pbidir does not have a whole lot of packages. But cool idea indeed. I'd recommend it over ubuntu to everyone.

Board footer