You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-16 22:01:16

_Gandalf_

HOWTO Section ??

Hello

Can you please create a HOWTO Section, like the one on Ubuntu, this section can save a lot of time on most users, it can also discuss HOWTOS posted on the wiki, it's weird actually there isn't one here, Can you please create it, i'll appreciate it if u do smile

#2 2006-01-16 22:14:27

Lone_Wolf

Re: HOWTO Section ??

Not sure what you mean, the 'howtos category' is listed on the home page of the wiki and has a lot of good stuff.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2006-01-16 23:46:11

_Gandalf_

Yes but where to discuss them? a forum can help the wiki by creating howtos there, discuss them in a topic here roll

#4 2006-01-16 23:56:22

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

That's what this (documentation discussion) forum is for. ;-) There's also talkback pages in the wiki, but they aren't used too much.

Dusty

#5 2006-01-17 00:11:06

ozar

Maybe some would disagree, but it seems to me we have too many forums here already.

oz

#6 2006-01-17 00:19:11

_Gandalf_

I agree with you about many forum, but i think something like Customization Tips & Tricks  is really cool, check it out

#7 2006-01-17 00:35:44

ozar

Not sure, but maybe I'm simply not understanding the thread topic well enough to be posting in it.  wink

What would the point be to having HowTos on the forums, and then again on the Wiki, too?  Seems like a duplication of effort to me, and like Dusty says, we can already talk about the Wiki Howtos right here.

I'm not much of a fan of Ubuntu, which leaves me to feel that just because they do it doesn't really mean it's the right thing for Arch to do, at least in my opinion, anyway.  smile

oz

#8 2006-01-17 00:51:13

_Gandalf_

Well excatly, i didn't say to write howtos here, but for example if i want to write a howto how to make vmware work (which it is already in the wiki), the i would create a topic

HOWTO: Install VMware

inside it a link to the wiki page, this way we can have an organised forum which has only and only howtos, and each howto can be discussed in this topic, no need to have Thousands of topics around on the same subject, got my point now? big_smile

#9 2006-01-17 00:57:31

ozar

Yeah, the "discuss it here" part makes sense, but the posting of howtos here and in the wiki really doesn't.  Oh well, I'm done in this topic... but good luck with your request, Gandalf.  smile

oz

#10 2006-01-17 01:48:24

_Gandalf_

Thank you big_smile and btw -> [URL=http://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum-f-12.html]Documentation, Tips & Tricks[/URL]  big_smile

#11 2006-01-17 02:05:30

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

_Gandalf_ wrote:

Well excatly, i didn't say to write howtos here, but for example if i want to write a howto how to make vmware work (which it is already in the wiki), the i would create a topic

HOWTO: Install VMware

inside it a link to the wiki page, this way we can have an organised forum which has only and only howtos, and each howto can be discussed in this topic, no need to have Thousands of topics around on the same subject, got my point now? big_smile

What you want to do could take place in this forum which is for "Forum, Wiki and Documentation Discussion".  That's what this forum is for, even though the words 'HOWTO' or 'tips & tricks' doesn't appear in the title.  Therefore, there's no need of an additional forum. Some users have also done this in the "User contributions" forum too.

#12 2006-01-18 00:12:39

elasticdog
Website

I actually agree with _Gandalf_ on this one...from the viewpoint of a new user, or even someone who is just new to the forums, it's not obvious that we already have a place for discussions like these.  If I were browsing around looking for HOWTOs, I sure wouldn't think to look in the "Forum, Wiki and Documentation Discussion" section of the forums...that would basically mean nothing to me.  Plus, as Mr. Snoman pointed out, people also put such threads under "User Contributions" as well, which means that there is not centralized location for discussions of this kind.  They're posted sporadically all over the place, and not consistently labeled.

I think having a dedicated section here on the forums would absolutely not be counterproductive to the section on the wiki, as they are meant to compliment each other.  As Dusty said, there are talkback pages on the wiki, but nobody uses them...if those types of discussions were brought here to the forums, I could see a lot more people looking at, responding to, and offering suggestions on how we can improve our documentation and ideas that get posted over in the wiki.  Without a good place to discuss things, you'd be stuck checking up on your own wiki pages all the time to see if people have been editing them...which will never happen.

What I don't agree with is that we need more sections to the forum, but I thought that a discussion was already underway to try and consolidate some of the categories we have now.  Anyway, I think it just makes good sense, and would be something that most people would be interested in, or could benefit from (whether they're from the Arch community or not).

#13 2006-01-18 01:00:00

_Gandalf_

Finally someone else agree with me on this suggestion big_smile

anyway i think elasticdog enlightened more my point of vue and i have no more to say, i leave it from here in the hands of admins, i think it can be very cool, just think about it!

#14 2006-01-18 01:35:38

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Lets go back about a year, when we had a 'Documentation Discussion' Forum and people posted in it about once every two months. This is why these two forums (Forum Discusison and Documentation Discussion) were combined.

Perhaps renaming the forum to "Forum and HOWTO" discussion would make it more transparent for you guys, but I can't really see how 'Wiki and Documetation' doesn't include this topic somehow. Even on the wiki itself the HOWTOs section is kind of secondary to the index page (something I don't really agree with, I find it hard to find stuff on the wiki, but I digress).

Dusty

#15 2006-01-18 02:16:01

elasticdog
Website

I too think it's hard to find stuff on the wiki's homepage.  I much prefer something like Gentoo's main wiki page, or how they do things on the WordPress Codex, but that's another topic entirely...

I think you're right Dusterino in saying that perhaps the word "Documentation" isn't really transparent enough.  For me, that implies only the official documents, the "The Official Arch Linux Installation Guide", the packaging guidelines, etc., and not necessarily small tutorials such as HOWTOs and the like...perhaps that explains why the forum section was basically unused when it was called "Documentation Discussion"?

--==EDIT==--
Even doing something as simple as starting a trend of putting [HOWTO] in the post titles would help in making those types of discussions much more scannable, and searchable...

Board footer