You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-17 01:09:58

mbahamonde

Need some advice on conflictive pkg license

Hi,
I'm a Arch Linux PPC Maintainer and I need some advice. We are currently in the need of Java, and Sun doesn't make a ppc version of it. Latest ppc Java Blackdown version is really old and doesn't seem to work with our current glibc and currently the best java available for linux ppc is IBM's Java.
The problem with it is the License (IBM-J1.5), we cannot make binaries,  redistribute nor fetch the source files.

So my question is: What would be the best way to make a package for it? I currently have this idea:
Make the PKGBUILD install a bash script that I will make for automating the process of installing it and call it say install-ibm-java and display a message when installed that will warn the user that java is not yet installed, and that they need to run this install-ibm-java script.

The script will check if the user has downloaded from the IBM webpage the binary and placed it in /tmp/ibm-java. If the file exists, then it will make the install procedure.
I know I could do this in the PKGBUILD, but the problem with this is that users will have to manually do the makepkg stuff and we would like to have this as easy as possible for the user.

I know it's a very dirty solution. Do you guys have any other idea? Or maybe do you know any package with a similar situation that I could look at it's PKGBUILD to see how did they sort out the problem?

Thanks in advance.
Greetings.

Board footer