You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-20 18:46:13

RubenKelevra

Install on mdadm-raid1 / cryptsetup home - GRUB-Problems

I try to install arch-linux on some lvl1-raids done with mdadm and a home-partition encrypted with cryptsetup.

I dont want an lvm, just some lvl1 raids.

I've added encrypt and mdadm_udev to the kernel-image.

I've got two harddisks in my laptop, one is filled with fedora-stuff which I want to copy to the new system. So I created the raids with /dev/sdbX and missing.

/dev/md0 - /dev/sdb1 & missing is swap
/dev/md1 - /dev/sdb2 & missing is root (ext4)
/dev/md2 - /dev/sdb3 & missing is /boot (ext4)
/dev/md3 - /dev/sdb4 & missing is /dev/mapper/home (luks) is /home (ext4)

I tried to install grub as boot-manager, grub-mkconfig fail:

sh-4.2# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
Generating grub configuration file ...
/usr/bin/grub-probe: warning: Couldn't find physical volume '(null)'. Some modules may be missing from core image...
/usr/bin/grub-probe: warning: Couldn't find physical volume '(null)'. Some modules may be missing from core image...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux
Found initrd image: /boot/initramfs-linux.img
error: out of memory
error: syntax error.
error: Incorrect command.
error: syntax error.
Syntax error at line 168
Syntax error detected in generated GRUB config file.
Ensure that there are no errors in /etc/default/grub
and /etc/grub.d/* files or please file a bug report with
/boot/grub/grub.cfg.new file attached.done

I didn't touched /etc/default/grub nor any file of /etc/grub.d/*. Just added my home-partition to /etc/crypttab and my raids to /etc/mdadm.conf ... else I let genfstab generate my /etc/fstab.

My /boot/grub/grub.cfg.new:
http://pastebin.com/PXGY6GrN

Hope you might help me sad

Best Regards
Ruben

#2 2013-12-20 19:06:53

karol
Archivist

Re: Install on mdadm-raid1 / cryptsetup home - GRUB-Problems

Have you tried the fixes suggested in other threads about grub syntax error?

#3 2013-12-20 20:26:40

RubenKelevra

Thanks for your hint, the line with "out of memory" and following are gone now.

The "grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck /dev/sdb" outputs the following:

grub-install: warning: Couldn't find physical volume '(null)'. Some modules may be missing from core image...
grub-install: warning: Couldn't find physical volume '(null)'. Some modules may be missing from core image...
grub-install: error: cannot open '/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/msdos.mod': No such file or directory. 

#4 2013-12-20 20:34:55

RubenKelevra

Found the workaround Edit 1: As a stupid workaround 'cd /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/; ln -s part_msdos.mod msdos.mod;' at https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/38053

Working for me now. smile

Board footer