You are not logged in.

#126 2013-12-22 20:20:44

Ilya87

Re: Pantheon Shell on Archlinux

Help me please! My Pantheon DE looks extremly ugly - rectangle buttons, rectangle top panel. It looks like system doesn't see gtk+ style or I don't have it installed.

#127 2013-12-23 23:31:53

svalmont
Website

I'm wondering if the issues caused here are caused by the desktop you have installed before trying Pantheon.  Maybe it has some dependencies on Gnome or other desktops.  That would explain why some of us are having problems and some aren't.  I currently have Enlightenment and am trying to install Pantheon, which doesn't have a mouse shown when I get it up.  Has anyone else successfully moved from Enlightenment?

#128 2013-12-26 07:27:29

illusionmist

Just found out pantheon-terminal-bzr in the repo is long outdated (536 in bzr vs 448 in repo), it's currently broken due to compatibility with newer granite-bzr; pantheon-files-bzr needs update too. Thanks.

#129 2013-12-27 07:41:51

ajdunevent

I'm sure this is related to what illusionmist has observed, but replacing granite with granite-bzr prevents pantheon-files-bzr, slingshot-launcher-bzr, wingpanel-bzr, and (I think) pantheon-terminal-bzr from working due to missing libgranite.so.1.

Also, I'm curious what the indicator C6M6 is using for networking in the screenshot.  I use networkmanager but haven't found an indicator for it.  Am I missing something really obvious?

I'm excited about the changes that'll be coming down the line as the Pantheon devs prepare for elementary OS Isis and newer (hopefully more Arch-compatible) resources it'll use.

#130 2013-12-27 22:44:03

Alucryd
Developer
Website

Yes, granite-bzr has had a sobump, which is why it is no longer compatible. I've updated the bzr packages so that they depend on granite-bzr instead of granite. Also pantheon-terminal wasn't really outdated but it was missing a pkgver function, now fixed.

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

#131 2013-12-28 13:45:08

illusionmist

Alucryd wrote:

Yes, granite-bzr has had a sobump, which is why it is no longer compatible. I've updated the bzr packages so that they depend on granite-bzr instead of granite. Also pantheon-terminal wasn't really outdated but it was missing a pkgver function, now fixed.

Thanks smile

Btw is there anything we can do to fix Trash not working and showing "This folder does not exist" in pantheon-files? (It's pointing to trash:///, which is something eOS-specific, I guess?)

Last edited by illusionmist (2013-12-28 13:49:57)

#132 2013-12-28 16:37:52

rainbowdashc

illusionmist wrote:
Alucryd wrote:

Thanks smile

Btw is there anything we can do to fix Trash not working and showing "This folder does not exist" in pantheon-files? (It's pointing to trash:///, which is something eOS-specific, I guess?)

For trash support, you'll probably need to install gvfs.

#133 2013-12-28 21:18:34

illusionmist

rainbowdashc wrote:
illusionmist wrote:
Alucryd wrote:

Thanks smile

For trash support, you'll probably need to install gvfs.

That does it. Thanks!

#134 2014-01-04 22:58:28

svalmont
Website

I tried to install everything and use openbox instead of gala.  Openbox still functions but the mouse is not visible.  Using gala I believe I get similar results although gala will not run on its own like openbox.  How do I get the mouse to be visible?

#135 2014-01-05 11:23:46

Alucryd
Developer
Website

svalmont wrote:

I tried to install everything and use openbox instead of gala.  Openbox still functions but the mouse is not visible.  Using gala I believe I get similar results although gala will not run on its own like openbox.  How do I get the mouse to be visible?

Just tried on a VM, mouse is visible using gala. Did you build it or use the one in the repo? Cause I just noticed I hadn't rebuilt that one against new granite, now fixed (I didn't bump the pkgrel, doing a 'pacman -Sy gala-bzr' will tell you the cached package is corrupted, say yes to delete it then do 'pacman -Sy gala-bzr' again).

I tried installing openbox and replacing gala with it, but for some reason it won't launch sad

#136 2014-01-06 14:58:41

svalmont
Website

Yes, I am using the repo.  I also have Enlightenment 17 installed, not that it would make any difference.  I'll try getting gala again, like you said and see what happens.

#137 2014-01-06 15:24:14

svalmont
Website

That did not work, no mouse the regular way and when I tried to run just exec gala, I got failed to execute login command.  I am using Slim for my DM.  Gala when ran from the command line error:
(gala:24820): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_strsplit: assertion 'string != NULL' failed

(gala:24820): Clutter-CRITICAL **: Unable to initialize Clutter: The OpenGL version could not be determined
Window manager error: Unable to initialize Clutter.

Last edited by svalmont (2014-01-08 04:44:57)

#138 2014-01-10 02:05:06

eddyw

The Pantheon Greeter (lightdm) doesn't work with granite-bzr for me; It does with granite (But the keyboard doesn't work, is this normal?).
I also had problems trying to run granite applications, like pantheon-terminal and pantheon-files (with granite-bzr); I got this error:

(App): error while loading shared libraries: libgranite.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

But gala does work.

Then, I did "pacman -Rdd granite-bzr" and installed granite. All granite applications run fine but gala doesn't.

This was using the repo.

#139 2014-01-10 15:32:38

sh4nks
Website

eddyw wrote:

The Pantheon Greeter (lightdm) doesn't work with granite-bzr for me; It does with granite (But the keyboard doesn't work, is this normal?).
I also had problems trying to run granite applications, like pantheon-terminal and pantheon-files (with granite-bzr); I got this error:

(App): error while loading shared libraries: libgranite.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

But gala does work.

Then, I did "pacman -Rdd granite-bzr" and installed granite. All granite applications run fine but gala doesn't.

This was using the repo.

I got that problem too with noise-bzr and pantheon-files-bzr, I removed all pantheon packages from cache and reinstalled them. I'm using gdm, so I don't know if that will solve your problem.

Does anyone have the same issue when trying to launch switchboard?
I'm always getting this error:

[_LOG_LEVEL_INFO 16:28:32.074495] Application.vala:77: Switchboard version: 2.0
[_LOG_LEVEL_INFO 16:28:32.074571] Application.vala:79: Kernel version: 3.12.6-1-ARCH
[_LOG_LEVEL_WARN 16:28:32.078533] PlugsManager.vala:88: Unable to scan plugs folder: No such file or directory

#140 2014-01-10 18:58:59

ajdunevent

eddyw, stick with granite-bzr. I believe the version differences between granite and granite-bzr have been sorted out for most applications if you use their -bzr versions (pantheon-files-bzr and pantheon-terminal-bzr, for instance).

If you really don't want to go for the -bzr versions of the other apps, creating the following temporary symbolic link mostly worked for me:

# ln -s /usr/lib/libgranite.so /usr/lib/libgranite.so.1

There were still problems with the lighdm-pantheon-greeter (regular and -bzr) last time I tried them.  If you put your pointer in the bottom, right corner, you might be able to actually resize the greeter, click around like crazy, and eventually be able to type in your password.  I never narrowed down the exact method that worked.  I'd suggest sticking with the another greeter for now or using a different DM.

#141 2014-01-12 14:54:12

rainbowdashc

Note that the odd indicator appearance is a known upstream bug.

#142 2014-01-14 18:37:07

svalmont
Website

To those getting the black screen on start up: Gala has a known issue with running with fglrx. Using the open source drivers does not cause the same issue only the AMD proprietary drivers.

#143 2014-01-17 22:24:45

Pylm

project status?

#144 2014-01-21 03:48:43

eddyw

ajdunevent wrote:

eddyw, stick with granite-bzr. I believe the version differences between granite and granite-bzr have been sorted out for most applications if you use their -bzr versions (pantheon-files-bzr and pantheon-terminal-bzr, for instance).

If you really don't want to go for the -bzr versions of the other apps, creating the following temporary symbolic link mostly worked for me:

There were still problems with the lighdm-pantheon-greeter (regular and -bzr) last time I tried them.  If you put your pointer in the bottom, right corner, you might be able to actually resize the greeter, click around like crazy, and eventually be able to type in your password.  I never narrowed down the exact method that worked.  I'd suggest sticking with the another greeter for now or using a different DM.

Sorry for replying late.
After creating the symbolic link, granite apps started throwing this error > "Segmentation Faul", so I'll stick with granite-bzr (but some apps like noise don't work fine)
Thanks anyway.

Since the last update it 'works'; at least, I can get Gala, Plank, and Wingpanel (partially) working.
This is one of the errors I got when running Wingpanel

[_LOG_LEVEL_WARN 23:25:47.951781] [LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB] Getting layout failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such interface 'com.canonical.dbusmenu' on object at path /com/canonical/indicator/sound/menu

Last edited by eddyw (2014-01-21 03:49:24)

#145 2014-01-21 09:09:09

Alucryd
Developer
Website

eddyw wrote:
ajdunevent wrote:

Sorry for replying late.
After creating the symbolic link, granite apps started throwing this error > "Segmentation Faul", so I'll stick with granite-bzr (but some apps like noise don't work fine)
Thanks anyway.

There is a reason why people do library sobumps: because the library API changes and is not compatible with the old one. Why would you even think of symlinking 2 different versions of a library? Of course you'll get segmentation faults ಠ_ಠ

granite and granite-bzr currently have a different soname, so either use only bzr packages built agains granite-bzr (your choice if you want gala, as there is still no stable gala yet) or use only stable releases which are built agains stable granite.

eddyw wrote:

Since the last update it 'works'; at least, I can get Gala, Plank, and Wingpanel (partially) working.
This is one of the errors I got when running Wingpanel

[_LOG_LEVEL_WARN 23:25:47.951781] [LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB] Getting layout failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such interface 'com.canonical.dbusmenu' on object at path /com/canonical/indicator/sound/menu

As for wingpanel, welcome to the ubuntu indicators unspeakable mess. Almost all of them don't work as they should (for various reasons), and they are 2 years old, because 2 years ago was the last time Canonical ever cared about the rest of the world. Now they don't release tarballs and patch every big or small library so you can't use their stuff without patching your whole system. Sadly wingpanel still needs at least one indicator to start, but the dev team announced some time ago (and are working on atm) an indicator-less wingpanel, it will have a plugin-based system instead. I don't want to dive in and fix an outdated bad system, so I'm waiting for this new shiny wingpanel that will free us from all Ubuntu evil tongue You'll have to make do with the current one for the time being.

#146 2014-01-22 20:16:29

ajdunevent

I've noticed in the screenshots of other's that the Pantheon-Files view selector (grid, list, columns) uses dark monochrome icons.  Does anyone know why mine are white no matter which gtk or icon theme I use?  See: http://i.imgur.com/ooSqid5.png

Also, gala always starts with 3 blank workspaces instead of just 1.  I can't seem to hunt down any misconfigured setting.

I assume these annoyances aren't plaguing anyone else since I haven't seem them mentioned before.  Or maybe I'm less patient.  I have them on two installations (desktop at work and laptop at home).  I'd appreciate any clues to helping me fix either of these.

Alucryd wrote:

. . . the dev team announced some time ago (and are working on atm) an indicator-less wingpanel, it will have a plugin-based system instead. I don't want to dive in and fix an outdated bad system, so I'm waiting for this new shiny wingpanel that will free us from all Ubuntu evil tongue

This will be such a great change!  I can hardly wait.  I'd also love to see Pantheon separate from GNOME more at some point but I'll take what I can get and be happy with it for now.

#147 2014-01-22 20:27:49

sh4nks
Website

ajdunevent wrote:

I've noticed in the screenshots of other's that the Pantheon-Files view selector (grid, list, columns) uses dark monochrome icons.  Does anyone know why mine are white no matter which gtk or icon theme I use?  See: http://i.imgur.com/ooSqid5.png

I have the same issue.

Last edited by sh4nks (2014-01-22 20:28:17)

#148 2014-01-22 20:39:48

metak

sh4nks wrote:
ajdunevent wrote:

I have the same issue.

I've checked the elementary-icon-theme directory and I can't find any dark monochrome icons for view icons... do they even exist or am I blind? :-)
There are only gray view icons and dark monochrome icons are available only for arrows left,right,up,down and home...

#149 2014-01-22 21:22:54

ajdunevent

sh4nks wrote:
ajdunevent wrote:

I have the same issue.

But the view selector in Noise looks just fine, right?  It does for me.  I wonder what's up with that.  Maybe Pantheon-Files is using (or expecting) some other version of a svg library.

metak wrote:

I've checked the elementary-icon-theme directory and I can't find any dark monochrome icons for view icons... do they even exist or am I blind? :-)
There are only gray view icons and dark monochrome icons are available only for arrows left,right,up,down and home...

I believe "gray" is the nature of symbolic icons.  They only represent a shape that gets "painted" white or black as needed, I believe.  There is a strong chance I am completely wrong on that so don't hold it against me if that turns out to be the case.

Last edited by ajdunevent (2014-01-22 21:23:18)

#150 2014-01-22 21:30:12

metak

ajdunevent wrote:
metak wrote:

I believe "gray" is the nature of symbolic icons.  They only represent a shape that gets "painted" white or black as needed, I believe.  There is a strong chance I am completely wrong on that so don't hold it against me if that turns out to be the case.

Sorry, I've managed to completely misunderstand you...

I've reinstalled pantheon packages and I also noticed this. Strange...

Edit: could it be somehow related to this?

https://code.launchpad.net/~codygarver/ … rge/199095

Last edited by metak (2014-01-22 21:41:14)

Board footer