You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-25 03:38:14

v43

turn off (zacate) integrated vga. ACPI_CALL?

Hi
I set up a headless server based on a brazos system (AMD e350, with integrated radeon HD6300).

Since I make no use of the video capabilities, I wish to power off the integrated VGA.
If I do so from the bios, then I'd be screwed in case of problems, because the only 2 ways to get video output again would be adding a discrete card or clearing the cmos, both quite unpleasant scenarios.

threfore I'd like to try a software solution to turn off the integrated vga, so to spare some watts (and some noise).

are there any methods I could use with acpi_call?

on a side note:
I cant remember exactly but I read somewhere in the forum that the vga_switcheroo has been integrated in the kernel since 3.xx.
But I'm running 3.12.5 and I can't find it in /usr/lib/modules/ or anywhere else.

#2 2013-12-25 12:14:12

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: turn off (zacate) integrated vga. ACPI_CALL?

vga_switcheroo is accessed/used through  /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch .
I do think it is only present / enabled if the system finds 2 or more cards though and all are using KMS.

I can't help with acpi_call , but enabling radeon dynamic power management would already help with noise / power consumpting.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AT … management

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2013-12-26 17:37:41

v43

Re: turn off (zacate) integrated vga. ACPI_CALL?

Lone_Wolf wrote:

vga_switcheroo is accessed/used through  /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch .
I do think it is only present / enabled if the system finds 2 or more cards though and all are using KMS.

and I believe you're correct. I don't have that switch

Lone_Wolf wrote:

I can't help with acpi_call , but enabling radeon dynamic power management would already help with noise / power consumpting.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AT … management

thanks for the suggestion. I just activated it, and I did notice a 2°C temperature drop in the CPU, so I guess it's working.

Board footer