You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-28 12:34:20

nsmathew

[SOLVED] Creating PKGBUILDS where the source URL does not have version

I am trying to create a a PKBUILD for idevsutil which is provided by IDrive for backing up into their cloud. The archive provided by them contains just a binary and a readme. Now the source URL, http://evs.idrive.com/download/download … inux64.zip does not include the version number. So looks like they are updating the same file for every version. In case they update the version the checksum should fail which should prevent mismatch in dev versioning and what gets installed. But are there any best practices for such cases when we write PKGBUILD?

Last edited by nsmathew (2013-12-28 16:22:02)

Is man one of God's blunders? Or is God one of man's blunders?
Friedrich Nietzsche

#2 2013-12-28 12:50:17

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Creating PKGBUILDS where the source URL does not have version

The content provided by the source url for version-control packages is also always changing, yet the PKGBUILDS don't need to.  The key for these is to use the 'SKIP' entry in the checksum variable.  The packages must also have the version control system appended to the title (eg package-git).

You certainly could make a package-dev which skipped the checksum.  However, this would mean user's of the PKGBUILD would be downloading a random unchecked binary from someone's idrive site.  This seems like a very bad idea.

However, installing a random unverified binary from an idrive seems like a bad idea itself, so this has nothing to do specifically with the PKGBUILD.  But if you make a PKGBUILD to do such a thing, I'd strongly recommend a clear warning in the PKGBUILD which is also echoed when running makepkg about what it is doing.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-12-28 12:52:22

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Don't think you can do much with that.  I would send an email requesting a versioned archive explaining that you are packing their software for a linux distribution.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2013-12-28 13:15:08

nsmathew

Trilby wrote:

The content provided by the source url for version-control packages is also always changing, yet the PKGBUILDS don't need to.  The key for these is to use the 'SKIP' entry in the checksum variable.  The packages must also have the version control system appended to the title (eg package-git).

You certainly could make a package-dev which skipped the checksum.  However, this would mean user's of the PKGBUILD would be downloading a random unchecked binary from someone's idrive site.  This seems like a very bad idea.

My idea was to not allow for the installation of the software if the upstream version changes which the checksum should take care off. Will then update the PKGBUILD with the new version and checksum.
In terms of the binary, it is the officially provided binary by IDrive and the URL points to the same.

graysky wrote:

Don't think you can do much with that.  I would send an email requesting a versioned archive explaining that you are packing their software for a linux distribution.

I have already requested for the license info on their dev forums, let me also check with them if a versioned archive is available. Thanks.

Friedrich Nietzsche

#5 2013-12-28 14:06:43

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

In the interim, you could manually version the source package using a pkgver decided by you (renaming can be done in the source array in the PKGBUILD, I'm sure the man page can provide more information). I'd just start at version 0.001, and increment this each time the source updates (when *sums don't match).

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6 2013-12-28 14:12:29

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I think I must have completely misunderstood.  Is the problem that upstream changes to the zip file will break the PKGBUILD, or that they simply don't provide version numbers?  If just the latter, then you could do as WorMzy suggests, or just use the date as a version.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2013-12-28 16:21:17

nsmathew

I can get the version number from the binary by using its client-version option. I will use this in the PKGBUILD. Thanks for the information all.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Board footer