You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-11 15:23:48

SamFor

How to install safer system?

My goal is to use comparatively light system without too much grips..
would it be reasonable to install only browser, File Manager and desktop(of choice)?
(this is my first question in this forum, ifn case I broke the rules, I ask forbearance and guidance)..

#2 2013-12-11 16:07:35

karol
Archivist

Re: How to install safer system?

How would it make safer?
Arch is what you make of it, so sure, why not, install just the packages you want.

#3 2013-12-11 16:25:49

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Welcome to the forums.  I assume you haven't installed arch yet: start there.

The base installtion of arch is much different than many other distros.  There is no default DE, nor even Xorg installed.  There is no browser (though there is a text mode browser in the installation medium it is not in the base install).  There is no file manager other than bash and coreutils.  You install what you want and only what you want.

Though Karol's question is important: why do you think installing fewer packages will make your system safer?  That is not (generally) the case.  There are a few packages which may be "unsafe" if you are very concerned with security (a perhaps naive example would be skype).  But on the flip side, if you are concerned with security there are other packages you *should* install (firewalls?  "hardening" tools ... sorry, I'm almost completely ignorant of these).

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2013-12-11 16:27:46

ewaller
Administrator

Moving to Arch Discussion.  This is not an installation problem.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2013-12-11 20:28:21

/dev/zero

Trilby wrote:

why do you think installing fewer packages will make your system safer?  That is not (generally) the case.

I dunno. I agree that the more packages you have, the more can go wrong.

SamFor wrote:

My goal is to use comparatively light system without too much grips..
would it be reasonable to install only browser, File Manager and desktop(of choice)?

I personally don't even use a file manager.

If this is your first install, expect to just ease yourself into things slowly. To start with, you'll want things like sudo and a text editor.

To keep things light and "safe", consider using a window manager rather than a desktop environment.

When you're installing xorg, also install a terminal emulator and browser. Before you start your window manager, make sure you know how to get that window manager to open a terminal and the browser. (It can be a shock if you try out a tiling WM that only gives you a blank screen by default and you can't figure out any key combos to do anything!)

#6 2013-12-11 20:41:04

dodo3773

The less internet facing services I suppose the more potential to be safe. if you want high high security it will depend on your skill set. You may need to compile your own kernel, set up mandatory access controls and patches, iptables rules, etc..etc... If building not too many applications and keeping it very minimal I would probably recommend Gentoo as opposed to Arch as it may be easier to set up the toolchain etc.. It is difficult to say though because of the ambiguity of "safer system". If you are coming from anther operating system like Windows or similar just do the regular install and you'll see that the system by default is much much safer than you are used to probably. Just stick to packages in the repo too if you are really worried (or from trusted devs around here) and keep your system as foss as possible (I am unsure of your hardware).

Edit: I just read your other thread on the welcome to arch board. What you want is called a "window manager" not a desktop environment.

Last edited by dodo3773 (2013-12-11 20:43:08)

#7 2013-12-16 10:24:35

SamFor

Thank you for welcoming me with abundat info.
It's true the Arch is not yet installed for the reason I have to figure out how to install it without internet(not sure how to explain in English why I cannot use wired connection).

I also thank for showing me I have to study Arch way more about how to manage files without manager, probably some other stuff.

..but this near xmas time my time to study that all is quite limited.. will be back sooner or later.

#8 2013-12-17 00:11:40

ANOKNUSA

SamFor wrote:

It's true the Arch is not yet installed for the reason I have to figure out how to install it without internet(not sure how to explain in English why I cannot use wired connection).

You cannot, at least not without a great degree of tedium, and without an internet connection you won't receive the benefits of using a rolling-release system.

I also thank for showing me I have to study Arch way more about how to manage files without manager, probably some other stuff.

You still haven't explained exactly why you want to do so. Not that I'm discouraging you; managing files through the shell is definitely worth learning, but it doesn't necessarily make the system any "safer."  Since you haven't explained what you mean by "safer system," there really is no answer to your question.

#9 2013-12-28 15:12:34

durazelI

If you have 3G/4G connection ("I cannot use wired connection") it can be problematic to set up. I think you can get most of the base system from cd. https://www.archlinux.org/download/. For finnish help see archlinux.fi

#10 2013-12-28 18:02:33

mcmillan

durazelI wrote:

If you have 3G/4G connection ("I cannot use wired connection") it can be problematic to set up. I think you can get most of the base system from cd.

That used to be the case, but the current installer will only work with downloading packages, thus the statement

You cannot, at least not without a great degree of tedium

Board footer