You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-13 13:14:02

almightydog

Awesome WM draggable window borders

I have recently switched from xfce to Awesome WM, as I like its configurability and the tiled windows system does come in handy on occasions.  But I have also added some features (like titlebars) which are useful when I am just using my computer more casually and want to use my mouse to navigate windows. 

One thing I am still unable to figure out is how to resize the window using the borders.  Not even sure if this is possible in awesome.  Having to press "mod4+right mouse" is just damn inconvenient, and frustrating when my girlfriend is trying to use the computer.  Luckily she is a computer programmer and just opened up a terminal and was able to do what she needed there... But does any one know if mouse-resizable window borders can be done in awesome?  Also what else do my fellow awesome comrades here do to make their UI more user friendly?

#2 2013-04-13 14:34:13

ANOKNUSA

Re: Awesome WM draggable window borders

Why do people switch to Awesome and then try to make it into something that isn't Awesome?  It's a tiling window manager.  Windows aren't supposed to be resized using the mouse and window borders; ideally, they're not supposed to be used in floating mode unless absolutely necessary.

Come to think of it, I think it's possible to resize windows with the mouse in tiling mode (I haven't used Awesome in a long time).  It should be possible to write a Lua script to achieve what you want, but it would be much simpler to just install a floating WM and be done with it.

#3 2013-04-13 15:12:10

almightydog

ANOKNUSA wrote:

Why do people switch to Awesome and then try to make it into something that isn't Awesome?  It's a tiling window manager.  Windows aren't supposed to be resized using the mouse and window borders; ideally, they're not supposed to be used in floating mode unless absolutely necessary.

Come to think of it, I think it's possible to resize windows with the mouse in tiling mode (I haven't used Awesome in a long time).  It should be possible to write a Lua script to achieve what you want, but it would be much simpler to just install a floating WM and be done with it.

Why do I try to make Awesome into a WM that isn't Awesome?  This style of thinking actually reminds me of social expectations in Japanese restaurats.  There it is frowned upon to ask for alterations to your dish.  One might say: "If you didn't want that dish, why did you order it?"  If I don't want to use awesome, why don't I just use xfce?  I do see your point, the answer is I just like to do it my way.  But thanks for your suggestion, I am sure some one has a script out there which does what I want.  I just need to find it now.

#4 2013-04-13 15:16:18

nsvir

You should try i3.
The doc is helpfull to understand WM concept.
http://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html

After you will be able to use any kind of Wm like awesome or dwm (WM of windows smile )

#5 2013-04-13 16:31:53

nomorewindows

You can resize the windows.  You can look at the awesome man page, or you can change/look at it in the ~/.config/awesome/rc.lua.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#6 2013-04-13 16:48:37

Unia
Website

It seems to me like you still prefer to have windows float and only time them rarely. In that case it might be best to try Openbox (a floating window manager) with, for example, pytyle to tile windows on occasions that need this.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#7 2013-04-14 04:22:43

ANOKNUSA

almightydog wrote:
ANOKNUSA wrote:

Why do I try to make Awesome into a WM that isn't Awesome?  This style of thinking actually reminds me of social expectations in Japanese restaurats.  There it is frowned upon to ask for alterations to your dish.

You're ordering sushi and then asking why your hamburger looks so funny.

#8 2013-04-14 07:45:47

Debug Mode

When you click the windows' name in the titlebar with your right mouse button, you can resize it. Just keep in mind that it'll always resize from the left top. If you look into the man page, there's also a keyboard shortcut.

#9 2013-04-15 10:50:14

cookies

almightydog wrote:

Having to press "mod4+right mouse" is just damn inconvenient

Then go ahead and change it to something you like. I don't know if "right mouse" will work on its own, just give it a try.

#10 2013-04-17 07:10:31

z1lt0id

To me it just sounds like Awesome isn't that right choice for this linux user.

#11 2013-12-30 12:05:01

jqrsd

awesome is offered as high-configurable (!) dynamic (!) wm, which is well-controlled both with help of keyboard and mouse.
so why draggable borders can not be available? moreover, this option is even more useful in tiling mode than in floating.
what good is such enormous configuration file without elementary realization of such basic function?

#12 2013-12-30 13:29:32

phanisvara

you can easily move windows around, in floating or tiling mode, while pressing the "windows" key. left mouse button -- anywhere on the window -- will move the whole window to another location, and right mouse button will resize the window from the nearest corner. unless you've changed that in the default rc.lua, of course.

#13 2013-12-30 14:13:50

jqrsd

phanisvara wrote:

you can easily move windows around, in floating or tiling mode, while pressing the "windows" key. left mouse button -- anywhere on the window -- will move the whole window to another location, and right mouse button will resize the window from the nearest corner. unless you've changed that in the default rc.lua, of course.

okay, I just wanna resize my windows sitting next to computer in pants only and holding a bottle of smth in the left hand..
to my mind, it's not an extraordinary requirement

#14 2013-12-30 14:16:43

phanisvara

try enabling title bars on windows (rc.lua, of course). not sure if you can drag those, sounds possible. sorry, i'm sitting at my computers with a towel around my belly and don't feel like trying it for you...

#15 2014-03-11 20:25:53

GSF1200S

Fine. Ill say it.

I dont understand why people think that a window manager should *only* do what *they* think it should. If you want to use Awesome with terminal apps tiling only and only floating when absolutely necessary, go right ahead. If someone wants to use this *DYNAMIC* window manager to float most of the time or some of the time for casual clicky late night laziness, then so be it. Why implicitly insult their choice because it doesnt match yours? Awesome offers other things beside tiling- similar to the great configuration options available in Openbox's rc.xml, Awesome's rc.lua offers a dizzying array of options for making Awesome do exactly what you want it to do. Maybe thats why they want to use Awesome? Maybe they dont give a d*** about tiling??

I use Openbox with Pytyle2 and its great. I also like i3 a lot, and I like Awesome a lot as well. Ive used Awesome on and off for a few years, but mainly Openbox. I didnt even know Awesome could have titlebar buttons until today.

To the OP, I can resize windows by simply right-clicking on a titlebar and dragging my mouse. I have a near bone-stock config, so...

I personally plan on using Awesome tiling most of the time, so now im searching for how to make titlebars appear only when floating. Piece of cake im sure, but im very new to the rc.lua.

#16 2014-03-14 07:25:03

2Karl
Website

I don't think anyone's suggesting that a window manager should "*only* do what *they* think it should." Seems more like people are questioning the choice of using a WM predominantly designed for tiling and then wanting to float most of the time. It's not necessarily the 'wrong' choice, but I can't help feeling that with the plethora of window managers out there, the OP might be better off with a different one if some of Awesome's features just don't suit.

It's like buying a motorbike and then trying to customise it so you can carry your four friends on it. It's not impossible, and it would probably be pretty fulfilling if you managed to get it sorted, but in all honesty you might just be better off using a car.

For what it's worth, I think the Mod4+Right mouse resizing is actually less hassle than trying to find the window borders to resize, but I mostly tile and have very thin borders...

It's affine day for a new sig:
13XQLTXH?R%20GLVHDVB!1046210467104640201045B104731046F02010458104731045902
010450104681045B1046910462104681046F02E0201045A104731045102010458104750201
04780201046F1046A104510201046902010461104671045B1047202010458104671045102E

#17 2014-03-18 03:11:11

nullified

Debug Mode wrote:

When you click the windows' name in the titlebar with your right mouse button, you can resize it. Just keep in mind that it'll always resize from the left top. If you look into the man page, there's also a keyboard shortcut.

This works nicely when the window is floating. You can move tiled windows around with titlebars and the left mouse button but you can't resize them.  If you set the layout of a tag to floating then you basically have something like a normal floating wm with moving and resizing capabilities without holding the modkey on that tag.

Another thing you can do is this: use a tiling layout with rules to set certain applications as floating. This allows you to have the best of both worlds. Tile the windows that you want tiled and float the ones you want to be able to resize and move easily. This is what I do on most tags.

"We may say most aptly, that the Analytical Engine weaves algebraical patterns just as the Jacquard-loom weaves flowers and leaves." - Ada Lovelace

Board footer