You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-01 20:23:02

WolleTD

[Solved] System won't boot after power kill.

Hello folks,

when I wanted to shutdown my notebook, it hang for several minutes unresponsive, so I decided to just press the power button to turn it off.

Now it won't boot anymore. Grub is loading without problems, when I want to start arch, I get the messages about loading the kernel and loading the initial ramdisk, then the screen turns black and nothing happens. And I can't do anything.

System is running completely on btrfs, one partition with gzip compression with subvolume boot, one partition with subvolumes rootfs, home and pkg on lzo compression. btrfs check reported no errors when checking out of live USB stick.

I don't know where to look now, so I need help.

Wolle

Last edited by WolleTD (2014-01-01 21:08:09)

#2 2014-01-01 20:42:28

WolleTD

Re: [Solved] System won't boot after power kill.

Problem solved. I downgraded libgcrypt from 1.6 to 1.5 because Chrome wouldn't start with 1.6. I got no dependency warnings, so I thought everything is ok.

I just tried to check journals from chroot environment and got an error about libgcrypt. After that, everything was clear. Installed 1.6 again and system is working now.

#3 2014-01-01 20:51:04

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#4 2014-01-01 21:06:32

WonderWoofy

Just remember, partial upgrades are not supported.  So dependencies are not versioned because there is the expectation that you will not be leaving any packages behind.

As a side note, I often wonder why people choose to use the unsupported google-chrome AUR package when we have the chromium package in the official repos... I've never had a problem with chromium.  Is there some kind of functionality that chrome offers that chromium doesn't (besides things like pdf support and pepperflash, which can easily be added to chromium)?

#5 2014-01-01 21:14:57

WolleTD

Actually I don't really know. One of the "I always did it this way"-things. Or at least, a long time. It took me a whole year to completely switch from Firefox to Chrome... Maybe some day, I will use chromium. But that day is not now.

Board footer