You are not logged in.

#1 2013-12-28 07:43:19

useraddition

Wifi Driver rtl8192se module.Wifi not working

I just did a fresh install of Arch Linux on my Gateway NV55C Laptop. I'm no stranger to Arch Linux and have been using it since 2007, and am no stranger to the constant updating and things getting broken. Well heres my problem the Wifi device driver is the dkms-8192cu in the AUR repository did the installation from AUR not to be confused with the General packages for all you noobs out there. Anyway I got some error at the end of the installation of the package saying echo something or other and at the end error. Sorry I can't post the code of the error I'm in Windows right now and I only have the base Linux installed on my Linux partition. Is anybody familiar with Realtek RTL8192se Wireless Card and its driver? What happens is when I'm in my Linux partition the Wifi light is lit up but when I Sync pacman the internet freezes and same when a ping something. Any ideas? Thanks. sad

Last edited by useraddition (2014-01-05 06:19:31)

#2 2013-12-28 12:39:18

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Wifi Driver rtl8192se module.Wifi not working

If you want any help at all, you need to fix everything about your post - starting with your title.

(edit: much redacted)

Last edited by Trilby (2013-12-28 18:53:40)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2013-12-28 18:11:50

useraddition

I didn't mean anything toward noobs with that comment, it wasn't meant to be disrespectful. I neeed some help with my wifi module on my laptop, I think your misinterpreting me. It wasn't meant to be disrespectful.

#4 2013-12-28 18:49:09

useraddition

Ok I opplogize for saying noob in reference to something trivial. To me it sounded like trying to warm up to people. But I guess I can see how that would be considered rude. Well I hope we cleared that up. I'll try to copy my installation errors on paper and copy them down and post the output on here.

#5 2013-12-28 19:00:33

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Sorry if I overreacted, things often come accross wrong in online text.  The noob comment on it's own was not offensive - it just seemed a very jarring contrast to the rest of your post which - quite frankly - doesn't match the standards we often expect for help threads around here.  For new forum members I'd generally opt for tactfully pointing out what info can be clarified so forum members can help - but what I (perhaps mistakenly) perceived as arrogance prevented me from providing such help which I can try now:

First, your forum title is not really indicative of the problem at hand.  If you clarify the title to specify the issue is with dkms-8192cu from AUR or more generally with your Realtek RTL8192se Wireless Card, these keywords will get the attention of the forum users with the most relevant experience to be able to help you.

Second, as you already seem to be pursuing, it is important that you do your best to give some indication of what the error message actually was - otherwise there is very little that can be done.

Finally, output from `iwconfig` or `ip` commands would be helpful for diagnosing the connection issues.  These would be more helpful than just the wifi light being on.  The relevant commands are on the wireless page of the wiki if you aren't sure which ones would be most helpful.

As a bit of an aside, there is no reason to appologize.  If I really had an issue I just wouldn't bother responding - even if abrupt, I hope my comment gives a push in the direction of a more productive post.

Last edited by Trilby (2013-12-28 19:02:48)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2013-12-29 22:32:08

useraddition

Ok so I re installed the rtk8192cu package with no errors and I still have the same problem. This is the output of iwconfig:

#iwconfig

wlp2s0 IEEE 802.11.bgn ESSID:"My wifi"
mode:managed Frequency 2.462 Ghz
Access Point: 2C:B0:5D:35:A1:4E
Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0
Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0
Invalid misc:8bbmissed beacon:0

lo no wireless extentions

enp1s0 no wireless extentions

Well thats the output of my iwconfig I had to copy it on paper and type it out in windows, there mite be 1 error with a colon or a dash or something but I think thats right. Well if you have any suggestions to my problem feel free to help thanks.

Last edited by useraddition (2013-12-29 22:41:23)

#7 2013-12-29 22:37:40

karol
Archivist

useraddition wrote:

I still couldn't figure out how to change the title of my thread sorry about that..

Edit the first post.

#8 2013-12-29 23:01:57

Gusar

Why would you use the 8192cu driver for a 8192se device? "s" != "c", they're different hardware. And "u" is for usb adapters, while "e" is for PCIe devices.

So let's start at the beginning - what hardware do you have (lspci -nn or lsusb output)? Did you check dmesg for any messages regarding the wireless? Those are the basics of the basics when troubleshooting hardware issues.

#9 2014-01-05 06:18:58

useraddition

Good point I uninstalled 8192cu package and rebooted. So I log in did wifi-menu and the wifi light lit up. I signed on my signal. But I still got the same problem. It's funny though cause the first Arch installation disk after the systemd upgrade where the installation became trikier I'd say the Dec 2011 installation cd the internet works fine on it but something is wrong in the current base base-devel packages where this is getting broken. I copied some things on paper from dmesg but I don't feel like writing down a bunch of stuff. If anybody else has run into this problem with the current packages and the rtl8192se module then let me know other wise I think I'm gonna do a google search. I like Arch better but maybe someone ran into thiis problem on another distro that useally is the case with these things.

#10 2014-01-05 21:07:18

useraddition

I was doing some research online about the driver. It said the driver is in the package Linux-firmware but was only functional in a previous version so if Arch rollback came back to what it was I can download Linux-Firmware from 2011 and make my wifi functional. I read something online that the developer botched the new driver but what I don't get is why in GNU/Linux if something already works why update and break stuff. It's not Arch its the whole of GNU/Linux where every now again the Distribution gets alot of things changed and breaks. I had another problem on a previous ASUS laptop where sound wasn't working and then I had to rollback. I miss the old Arch rollback is there anyway the New Arch Rollback can get all the privious years of packages. I don't know I think I mite abandon Arch to much regret.

#11 2014-01-06 10:26:02

itman

rtl8192se user here...

why not follow gusars advice and show us some "lspci"-output instead of more - well - useless ranting?

Board footer