You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-19 21:10:34

mac57
Website

Installed gxine, Firefox No Longer Uses Mplayer Plugin

I loaded gxine last night via pacman, and all was well until I realized that Firefox no longer uses the Mplayer plug in for MPGs in web pages - now it uses gxine's plug in, which I don't like as well.

Is there a way to configure which plug-in Firefox uses for a particular media type, or do I have to resort to deleting the plug in from Firefox's plug in directory?

Thanks!

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

#2 2006-01-19 21:28:02

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Installed gxine, Firefox No Longer Uses Mplayer Plugin

I thought you could configure that in the "Download Actions" section - at least here on this windows version, you can set the action to "Use Plugin" and select a plugin from a list.

#3 2006-01-19 21:40:10

mac57
Website

Well, that sounded promising, but no joy. When I select "View and Edit Actions", the resulting window shows an empty list. There are no current actions, and so nothing to change. There are buttons to Change actions and Delete actions, but none to Add an action, and so I can't even try to add a new action that would override the default selection of gxine. I agree that on my Windows copy of Firefox, I do get a populated list when I do the same thing...

#4 2006-01-19 22:09:26

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Hey, I remember that too - it bugged me because I couldn't set download actions (which means that in order to do anything at all, it had to download the link to /tmp first, instead of allowing "someapp http://the.link.i/clicked/"

I'll delve into it a bit

#5 2006-01-19 23:11:51

eyolf
Website

I had this problem too. I think it's related to v. 1.5.
I can't remember exactly how I fixed it, but I think this is it (from mozillazine):

Type about:config into the address bar
Find the preference browser.download.pluginOverrideTypes, right-click on it and select reset.
Find the preference plugin.disable_full_page_plugin_for_types, right-click on it and select reset.
Both those preferences should now be empty. If one or both of the preferences is missing, don't worry - that's good.

Close Firefox, then go into your profile folder: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Folder
And delete the file 'mimeTypes.rdf'

This seems to me to be the result of the consistent policy of FF to become more and more Windows-like by making choices for you, by assuming that all users are stupid and that the devels know best. I may be wrong, but they are so persistent in bashing Opera for all the "clutter", which to me means "configurability". Bad policy, IMHO.

#6 2006-01-19 23:16:35

mac57
Website

Thanks - I'll hope you find something out!

I dickered around with several plugin-related config files, such as

~/.mozilla/firefox/pluginreg.dat

that seemed to be where the "registration" of media types vs. plugins was recorded, but even when I deleted gxine ENTIRELY from that file, gxine's plugin STILL popped up when I selected a link on a web page that was a video. There is clearly a global setting somewhere that I didn't find.

For now, I have gone the brute force route and simply "deleted" the gxine plug-in (actually, I left it where it was, but renamed it to gxineplugin.so.disabled. That way, if we unearth a more graceful way of resolving this matter, I can undo the damage). That does the trick, and Firefox goes back to using the Mplayer plugin, but there MUST be a better way!  ...I hope!  :-)

#7 2006-01-19 23:41:30

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I'm going to look into it, but I think with a proper mimeTypes.rdf file, you should be able to modify/edit the download actions and then change the plugin.

Board footer