You are not logged in.

#26 2014-01-06 05:42:09

WonderWoofy

Re: [Solved] What's starting pulseaudio? [It's the DM, SDDM in my case]

dodo3773 wrote:

Edit: Also, while testing make sure you are not using a display manager and you are starting your window manager like "xinit /path/to/wm" to make sure that's not what is starting it.

I am a pulseaudio user, and it gets started automatically when I don't use a DM.  Though I just installed and configured lightdm yesterday so that programs would exit cleanly during a shutdown/reboot.

#27 2014-01-07 00:36:03

colinkeenan
Website

I finally got around to doing the following:

sudo systemctl disable sddm
shutdown -r now
startxfce4
ps -ef | grep pulse

And the result? pulseaudio was NOT running. I reboot 3 times, and it never ran. So, the answer is, SDDM starts pulseaudio for some reason.

WonderWoofy, the reason you got pulseaudio even without a DM is that you didn't move /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/pulseaudio, /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop, and /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio-kde.desktop, the way that I did. These three files work together to make sure pulseaudio runs one way or another without duplicating each other. The problem is, none of them check to see if it's already running. Since the DM already started pulseaudio, none of those files are necessary but one of them (/etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop in my case) tries to start pulseaudio again anyway. That's the source of the error. It seems to me that all of these need to check for the presence of a DM or simply verify that pulseaudio isn't already running. Fixing it on just one of these, for instance the X11 one, won't work. It needs to be fixed on all three files.

For me, I'm just going to delete all 3 files and leave it at that.

#28 2014-01-07 00:42:43

WonderWoofy

Oooohhh, I just realized that what is launching pulseaudio for me when I don't use a DM is this:

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
  for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
    [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
  done
  unset f
fi

This launches everything including /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/pulseaudio!  Duh!

Edit: Ha!  Appparently while I was slooooowwly typing this out, colinkeenan explained to my the exact realization I was having.  @colin, I think the only file at work here is actually that /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/pulseaudio file.  When you use startx (or xinit) and just a plain 'ol standalone WM the desktop files don't do anything unless told to do so.

Last edited by WonderWoofy (2014-01-07 03:47:04)

#29 2014-01-07 03:32:18

dodo3773

I can't believe it was the display manager this whole time hahaha tongue

Last edited by dodo3773 (2014-01-07 03:32:33)

#30 2014-01-07 03:44:22

colinkeenan
Website

It seems obvious now that I should've checked that even before posting the question, but I 'm glad I did it this way because I learned a lot about systemd, dbus, ps, .xinitrc, and desktop startup. The DM is still a mystery to me though (how does it start stuff and why pulseaudio?) because having solved the puzzle, there's no need to investigate further.

#31 2014-01-07 03:49:08

WonderWoofy

I don't know about the SDDM you use, but I just started using lightdm, and it has a wrapper script /etc/lightdm/Xsession that it uses to launch such things (in the same way as I posted above, see my edit by the way smile).

#32 2014-01-07 04:00:22

colinkeenan
Website

Based on my testing and reading the contents of the file though, your conclusion that the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/pulseaudio file is the only one at play isn't right. It actually tests to see if the environment includes one of the desktops that will start pulseaudio and in order to avoid double-starting, it doesn't do anything if there is such a desktop. I tried moving each file individually and determined /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/pulseaudio wasn't doing anything at all. I even put an echo command in there to see what it was detecting that was stopping it from doing anything. It was detecting xfce so that's why it didn't do anything.

So, what was happening was the following:

1) SDDM started pulseaudio
2) /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/pulseaudio saw that I was going to run xfce so didn't try to start pulseaudio
3) Xfce ran all the xdg files except not /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio-kde.desktop because that one is only visible to KDE.
4) Having been executed by Xfce, /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop tried to start pulseaudio, but got an error instead because pulseaudio was already running.

Last edited by colinkeenan (2014-01-07 04:01:23)

#33 2014-01-07 04:07:59

WonderWoofy

Yeah, see they work that way when you use a DM, but if you execute from the command line like I had been doing until a couple days ago, then the desktop files don't come into play at all.  I am an i3 user, and so $DESKTOP_SESSION is 'i3'.  So it skips the first part of that case statement, and falls back on the *).  Then, since both $KDE_FULL_SESSION and $GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID are both of zero length, it launches /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11.

#34 2014-01-07 04:15:55

colinkeenan
Website

Exactly. It's not if you use the DM that it works that way though, it works the same either way. It checks to see if any of those 3 desktops will be started. As you pointed out, for you none of them were, so it started pulseaudio. That's what that script is there for. For me, it detects that I'm running Xfce, so it doesn't do anything. It works the same whether or not I run a DM. Unfortunately, that script and those 2 .desktop files aren't needed at all when you use a DM. None of them even check for that, and that's the problem.

I started investigating SDDM and found /etc/sddm.conf which includes "SessionCommand=/usr/share/apps/sddm/scripts/Xsession". I'm looking at that now to see why it's starting pulseaudio. One of the things it does is run through all the /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d scripts, but that doesn't start pulseaudio because I'm using Xfce. I haven't yet found where it's starting pulseaudio.

#35 2014-01-07 04:18:27

WonderWoofy

I just looked up SDDM, as I had never heard of it before.  It looks very interesting and quite nice looking.

#36 2014-01-07 04:27:50

colinkeenan
Website

I like how it looks too which is why I've stuck with it. I'm discovering the Xsession is borrowed from KDE and even defaults to starting KDE. I always wondered why when I chose "default" in the login screen drop-down menu ( the menu is located top left of screen), SDDM failed to start Xfce. After first installing sddm (from AUR), and enabling it with systemctl, the next time you boot, that drop-down menu will either be set to default or custom, I don't remember for sure. Neither work. Custom executes $HOME/.xsession. As a failsafe, it tries to run xterm.

Anyway, if you try it out, before the first login, you will have to click on that drop down menu at top left to pick your desktop or it probably won't do anything.

#37 2014-01-07 05:08:55

colinkeenan
Website

The Xsession file that SDDM runs doesn't seem to start pulseaudio anywhere unless pulseaudio is passed to it by /usr/bin/sddm which is a binary file so I'm not going to figure that one out.

I learned something new about SDDM though, it comes with 4 very different themes. They are located in /usr/share/apps/sddm/themes which each theme being a subdirectory. Each theme includes a jpg showing what it looks like if you were to install it. You can switch themes by changing CurrentTheme in /etc/sddm.conf.

#38 2014-01-07 05:51:24

progandy

colinkeenan wrote:

The Xsession file that SDDM runs doesn't seem to start pulseaudio anywhere unless pulseaudio is passed to it by /usr/bin/sddm which is a binary file so I'm not going to figure that one out.

I think it runs pulseaudio from /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/. xfce will then use the xdg autostart, too.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#39 2014-01-07 06:27:35

Thaodan

dodo3773 wrote:
colinkeenan wrote:

Tried masking dbus just now, and on reboot, pulseaudio was not running, but that's because I couldn't log into my desktop either. My Display Manager (SDDM) ran fine, but since systemd wasn't working properly without dbus, it didn't start pam so there was nothing verifying my password to login. I had to ctrl-alt-f1 to the terminal. Then, to my horror, I discovered I couldn't use systemctl to unmask dbus! Systemctl needs dbus to do anything. Running htop, I saw almost nothing was running in fact. Luckily, I kind of remembered that when I unmasked sound.target, all it did was remove sound.target from a folder in /etc somewhere. I easily found it in /etc/systemd/system and removed it. On reboot, I was back into my desktop.

Can't test if dbus is starting pulseaudio because almost everything depends on dbus so that nothing much runs without it.

Oh glad you were able to get it back up quickly.

If pulseaudio is started with dbus, there should be a service file in "/usr/share/dbus-1/services". Find it and disable it.

Maybe this?:  org.gnome.GConf.service
That runs "/usr/lib/GConf/gconfd-2"  When doing a "ps aux | grep pulse" on my system shows "/usr/lib/pulse/gconf-helper" wondering if those two may be related.

Edit: Also, while testing make sure you are not using a display manager and you are starting your window manager like "xinit /path/to/wm" to make sure that's not what is starting it.

gconf-helper is just to store pulseaudio stettings in gconf nothing more, if you doesn't use gconf (like me as KDE user) you can disable it in '/etc/pulse/default.pa' (just uncomment also stuff  belonging too it).

Linux odin 3.13.1-pf #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Mar 5 21:47:28 CET 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux

#40 2014-01-07 17:06:05

colinkeenan
Website

I think it runs pulseaudio from /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/. xfce will then use the xdg autostart, too.

That's not what happens because the pulseaudio script in xinitrc.d tests for gnome|kde*|xfce* because it knows those desktops will use the xdg autostart.

What happens is that SDDM starts pulseaudio outside of xinitrc.d and xdg autostart. I know this because I DELETED all those pulseaudio files from xinitrc.d and xdg autostart. When I enable SDDM, it starts pulseaudio even though none of those files that start pulseadio exist. When I disablel SDDM, pulseaudio doesn't start.

In conclusion, the reason for the double start of pulseaudio error is SDDM (or whatever DM) starts pulseaudio and then Xfce (or whatever Desktop) also starts pulseaudio. If you're not running one of the desktops that starts pulseaudio, then you'll still get a double start because the pulseaudio script in xinitrc.d will try to start it. The double start error is caused by the fact that none of the other files that start pulseaudio are aware that the Display Manager also starts pulseaudio.

Last edited by colinkeenan (2014-01-07 17:25:03)

#41 2014-01-07 20:40:29

orschiro
Website

@colinkeenan

So what do you finally suggest? Should the pulseaudio package be changed or rather xinitrc.d?

#42 2014-01-07 20:57:56

colinkeenan
Website

Edit: Never mind this comment. See the next 2 comments.

I don't understand what the Pulseaudio package could do to stop other applications from trying to run it multiple times.

I suggest that any file trying to start Pulseaudio needs to check systemd or environment variables or something to find out what Display Manager is being used. If it detects a Display Manager that starts pulseaudio, then it shouldn't do anything. This should be fairly easy to change in the xinitrc.d/pulseaudio script that already checks for Desktops that start pulseaudio, but I'm not sure what can be done with the pulseaudio .desktop files in xdg.

Just changing xinitrc.d/pulseaudio won't change anything for most people because most people run a Desktop that launches the xdg stuff so that the xinitrc.d/pulseaudio script doesn't do anything to begin with because it already detected that it doesn't need to do anything.

Last edited by colinkeenan (2014-01-07 21:49:16)

#43 2014-01-07 21:14:30

colinkeenan
Website

Actually, I suggest that a total solution would be [edit: change both pulseaudio package and xinitrc.d/pulseaudio]  as follows:

1) Whatever it is that installs pulseaudio .desktop files in the /etc/xdg/autostart directory [edit: discovered it's the pulseaudio package that does this] should be changed to not do that. There should not be anything relating to pulseaudio in the autostart directory.

2) From step 1, no Desktop will be starting pulseaudio, so the Desktop test should be removed from pulseaudio script in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/

3) The pulseaudio script in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d needs to instead test for what Display Manager is running, and if it's one that starts pulseaudio, do nothing. It should also verify pulseaudio isn't already running before starting pulseaudio.

Last edited by colinkeenan (2014-01-07 21:48:12)

#44 2014-01-07 21:43:05

colinkeenan
Website

I just checked what gets installed in the pulseaudio package, and it installs all 3 of the files that need to be changed (listed in the first 13 lines):

colin  ~$ pacman -Ql pulseaudio
pulseaudio /etc/
pulseaudio /etc/X11/
pulseaudio /etc/X11/xinit/
pulseaudio /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/
pulseaudio /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/pulseaudio
pulseaudio /etc/pulse/
pulseaudio /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
pulseaudio /etc/pulse/default.pa
pulseaudio /etc/pulse/system.pa
pulseaudio /etc/xdg/
pulseaudio /etc/xdg/autostart/
pulseaudio /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio-kde.desktop
pulseaudio /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop
pulseaudio /usr/
pulseaudio /usr/bin/
pulseaudio /usr/bin/esdcompat
pulseaudio /usr/bin/pacmd
pulseaudio /usr/bin/pasuspender
pulseaudio /usr/bin/pax11publish
pulseaudio /usr/bin/pulseaudio
pulseaudio /usr/bin/qpaeq
pulseaudio /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-kde
pulseaudio /usr/bin/start-pulseaudio-x11
pulseaudio /usr/lib/
pulseaudio /usr/lib/libpulsecore-4.0.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/libalsa-util.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/libavahi-wrap.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/libbluez4-util.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/libbluez5-util.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/libcli.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/liboss-util.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/libprotocol-cli.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/libprotocol-esound.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/libprotocol-http.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/libprotocol-native.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/libprotocol-simple.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/libraop.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/librtp.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/libwebrtc-util.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-alsa-card.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-alsa-sink.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-alsa-source.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-always-sink.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-augment-properties.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-bluetooth-discover.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-bluetooth-policy.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-bluez4-device.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-bluez4-discover.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-bluez5-device.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-bluez5-discover.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-card-restore.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-cli-protocol-tcp.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-cli-protocol-unix.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-cli.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-combine-sink.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-combine.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-console-kit.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-dbus-protocol.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-default-device-restore.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-detect.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-device-manager.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-device-restore.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-echo-cancel.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-equalizer-sink.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-esound-compat-spawnfd.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-esound-compat-spawnpid.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-esound-protocol-tcp.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-esound-protocol-unix.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-esound-sink.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-filter-apply.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-filter-heuristics.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-gconf.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-hal-detect.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-http-protocol-tcp.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-http-protocol-unix.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-intended-roles.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-jack-sink.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-jack-source.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-jackdbus-detect.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-ladspa-sink.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-lirc.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-loopback.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-match.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-mmkbd-evdev.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-native-protocol-fd.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-native-protocol-tcp.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-native-protocol-unix.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-null-sink.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-null-source.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-oss.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-pipe-sink.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-pipe-source.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-position-event-sounds.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-raop-discover.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-raop-sink.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-remap-sink.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-remap-source.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-rescue-streams.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-role-cork.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-role-ducking.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-rtp-recv.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-rtp-send.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-rygel-media-server.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-simple-protocol-tcp.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-simple-protocol-unix.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-sine-source.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-sine.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-stream-restore.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-suspend-on-idle.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-switch-on-connect.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-switch-on-port-available.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-systemd-login.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-tunnel-sink-new.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-tunnel-sink.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-tunnel-source-new.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-tunnel-source.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-udev-detect.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-virtual-sink.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-virtual-source.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-virtual-surround-sink.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-volume-restore.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-x11-bell.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-x11-cork-request.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-x11-publish.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-x11-xsmp.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-zeroconf-discover.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse-4.0/modules/module-zeroconf-publish.so
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse/
pulseaudio /usr/lib/pulse/gconf-helper
pulseaudio /usr/lib/udev/
pulseaudio /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/
pulseaudio /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/90-pulseaudio.rules
pulseaudio /usr/share/
pulseaudio /usr/share/bash-completion/
pulseaudio /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/
pulseaudio /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/pulseaudio-bash-completion.sh
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/as/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/as/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/as/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/bn_IN/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/bn_IN/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/bn_IN/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/ca/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/ca/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/cs/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/de/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/de_CH/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/de_CH/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/de_CH/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/el/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/el/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/el/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/es/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/fi/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/fi/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/fr/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/gu/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/gu/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/gu/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/he/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/he/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/he/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/hi/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/hi/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/hi/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/hu/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/id/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/id/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/it/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/ja/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/kn/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/kn/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/kn/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/ml/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/ml/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/ml/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/mr/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/mr/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/mr/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/nl/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/or/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/or/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/or/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/pa/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/pa/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/pa/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/pl/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/pt/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/pt/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/ru/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/sr/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/sr/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/sr@latin/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/sr@latin/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/sr@latin/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/sv/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/ta/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/ta/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/ta/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/te/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/te/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/te/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/uk/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/uk/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/zh_CN/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/zh_TW/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/
pulseaudio /usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/pulseaudio.mo
pulseaudio /usr/share/man/
pulseaudio /usr/share/man/man1/
pulseaudio /usr/share/man/man1/esdcompat.1.gz
pulseaudio /usr/share/man/man1/pacmd.1.gz
pulseaudio /usr/share/man/man1/pasuspender.1.gz
pulseaudio /usr/share/man/man1/pax11publish.1.gz
pulseaudio /usr/share/man/man1/pulseaudio.1.gz
pulseaudio /usr/share/man/man1/start-pulseaudio-kde.1.gz
pulseaudio /usr/share/man/man1/start-pulseaudio-x11.1.gz
pulseaudio /usr/share/man/man5/
pulseaudio /usr/share/man/man5/default.pa.5.gz
pulseaudio /usr/share/man/man5/pulse-cli-syntax.5.gz
pulseaudio /usr/share/man/man5/pulse-daemon.conf.5.gz
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-aux.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-dock-mic.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-fm.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-front-mic.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-headphone-mic.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-headset-mic.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-internal-mic-always.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-internal-mic.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-linein.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-mic-line.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-mic.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-mic.conf.common
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-rear-mic.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-tvtuner.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input-video.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-input.conf.common
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-desktop-speaker.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-headphones-2.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-headphones.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-lineout.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-mono.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-speaker-always.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output-speaker.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/analog-output.conf.common
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/hdmi-output-0.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/hdmi-output-1.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/hdmi-output-2.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/hdmi-output-3.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/paths/iec958-stereo-output.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/default.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/extra-hdmi.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/force-speaker-and-int-mic.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/force-speaker.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/kinect-audio.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/maudio-fasttrack-pro.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/native-instruments-audio4dj.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/native-instruments-audio8dj.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/native-instruments-korecontroller.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/native-instruments-traktor-audio10.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/native-instruments-traktor-audio2.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/native-instruments-traktor-audio6.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets/native-instruments-traktorkontrol-s4.conf
pulseaudio /usr/share/zsh/
pulseaudio /usr/share/zsh/site-functions/
pulseaudio /usr/share/zsh/site-functions/_pulseaudio

So, the answer is that the pulseaudio package needs to be changed to not install stuff in /etc/xdg/autostart and also /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/pulseaudio needs to be changed to not test for the Desktop but instead to test for the Display Manager and whether or not pulseaudio is already running.

Last edited by colinkeenan (2014-01-07 21:44:21)

#45 2014-01-07 22:30:29

Lone_Wolf

looking at the pulseaudio PKGBUILD, the etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/pulseaudio file is provided by arch.
An arch bug report to change it should be sufficient.

The pulseaudio /ect/xdg/autostart files look like they come from upstream, problems with them should be reported there i think.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#46 2014-01-07 23:06:49

colinkeenan
Website

Lone_Wolf wrote:

looking at the pulseaudio PKGBUILD, the etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/pulseaudio file is provided by arch.
An arch bug report to change it should be sufficient.

The pulseaudio /ect/xdg/autostart files look like they come from upstream, problems with them should be reported there i think.

Even though the /etc/xdg/autostart files are something that effects all distros, in order to do the change I'm suggesting, the xinitrc.d/pulseaudio file needs to coordinate it's changes with the packaging of pulseaudio. In packaging pulseaudio for Arch, they could just not include the /xdg/autostart files at all and just rely on the modified xinitrc.d/pulseaudio script. Should I just suggest in the Arch bug report that they should coordinate their changes with changes to the PKGBUILD of pulseaudio removing the /xdg/autostart files? I don't really know how to report problems upstream.

#47 2014-01-07 23:42:33

colinkeenan
Website

I have reported FS#38412 - [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running, Prevent by modifying ...xinitrc.d/pulseadio & PKGBUILD (https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/38412)

Board footer