You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-17 19:06:08

ryanmichaelmcclure
Website

Journalctl--Can't figure out hp-config_usb_printer problem

My CPU is maxing at 100%. I ran 'top' to find out what is taking up my CPU and found that systemd-journal is taking it up. I found a post that said to run '# journalctl -f' to find what errors are being run. I am finding this error:

Nov 17 14:05:09 RyansLinuxBox hp-config_usb_printer[309]: Would you like to specify the path to the correct PPD file to use (y=yes, n=no*, q=quit) ?

I get around 100 of this exact message every minute. I searched around and couldn't find out what's wrong. I don't have my HP printer plugged in, I uninstalled 'hplip' and removed my printer from CUPS. What on earth could be the problem?

Last edited by ryanmichaelmcclure (2013-11-17 19:14:50)

#2 2013-12-22 21:42:31

kd0bpv

Re: Journalctl--Can't figure out hp-config_usb_printer problem

I'm having a similar issue. I *do* have my HP printer connected and turned on. I'm trying to add it to CUPS via the web interface (the machine in question is a headless server). Using journalctl --follow, I've noticed that the flood of that message starts after I select the  printer and click "continue".  The next steps take a long time to load, but they do go seemingly fine, until I select the driver and go to the next page, where I get "Failed to add printer: Broken Pipe"

My best guess is that HPLIP is broken... no surprise since it's HP. Though, why this would still be plaguing you after uninstalling HPLIP, I'm not sure, as pacman -Qo /usr/bin/hp-config_usb_printer shows that it is owned by the HPLIP package. What command did you use to remove HPLIP? pacman -Rns?

#3 2014-01-07 16:04:18

Rexilion

Re: Journalctl--Can't figure out hp-config_usb_printer problem

I had the exact same issue. For me, the driver selection page did not appear but I got an error saying cups could not find the printer drivers. I had to use a workaround. Copy .ppd, uninstall hplip, install printer, install hplip. Pretty horrible if you ask me.

Furthermore, if a process is running, actually removing it's executable by removing it's package will not make that process stop. It's loaded into memory and needs to be manually killed.

fs/super.c : "Self-destruct in 5 seconds.  Have a nice day...\n",

Board footer