You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-07 03:41:21

MXIIA

exfat hard drive getting "Transport endpoint is not connected" message

The exact error given is

Unhandled error message: Error when getting information for file '/mnt/HDD': Transport endpoint is not connected

I am able to mount it for short periods of time if I do

sudo umount -l /mnt/HDD

then open it in nautilus. This works for a few minutes then errs out with the same message

If I run

sudo mount /mnt/HDD

afterwards I get an output of "FUSE exfat 1.0.1
WARN: volume was not unmounted cleanly."

the /etc/mtab entry about this drive is

gvfsd-fuse /run/user/1000/gvfs fuse.gvfsd-fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=100 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /mnt/HDD fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0

The mount options in gnome-disk-utility are as shown
http://i.imgur.com/jeOMEZg.png

I initially had my ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs with some directories on the drive as shown

XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
XDG_DOWNLOAD_DIR="/mnt/HDD/Downloads"
XDG_TEMPLATES_DIR="$HOME/Templates"
XDG_PUBLICSHARE_DIR="$HOME/Public"
XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR="/mnt/HDD/Documents"
XDG_MUSIC_DIR="/mnt/HDD/Music"
XDG_PICTURES_DIR="/mnt/HDD/Pictures"
XDG_VIDEOS_DIR="/mnt/HDD/Videos"

but I've since restored that file to its default. When the drive was configured this way and I ran the unmount and remounted, the Pictures directory would not show up in nautilus but would show up if I navigated to /mnt/HDD/Pictures in a terminal window and all items would show up with a simple ls -la

/etc/fstab for this drive

/dev/disk/by-label/HDD /mnt/HDD auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0

I'm sure I'm forgetting a config file somewhere.

Thank you for your help

-- mod edit: read the Forum Etiquette and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … s_and_Code [jwr] --

#2 2014-01-07 03:51:26

WonderWoofy

Re: exfat hard drive getting "Transport endpoint is not connected" message

I assume that if you have gone so far as to use exfat for your $HOME, you are sharing it with a windows system.  If this is that case, you should be aware that the windows fast boot (whatever they call it) is actually a form of hibernation and would explain why the filesystem is not being cleanly unmounted.

#3 2014-01-07 06:12:32

rodyaj

I also get these errors after a short while when trying to copy from an exfat external hard drive. I don't have a Windows partition anymore.

#4 2014-01-07 06:44:21

WonderWoofy

Maybe it might be worth trying the out-of-tree exfat module then?  I know that there are others who have found the fuse based exfat driver to be less than reliable. 

Honestly, if you don't use windows anymore, I would personally make the effort to back up the contents of $HOME and then reformat to a POSIX filesystem.

#5 2014-01-08 00:21:02

MXIIA

WonderWoofy wrote:

I assume that if you have gone so far as to use exfat for your $HOME, you are sharing it with a windows system.  If this is that case, you should be aware that the windows fast boot (whatever they call it) is actually a form of hibernation and would explain why the filesystem is not being cleanly unmounted.

I've disabled hybernation and fastboot in Windows and had it that way for a while. I just double checked and none of my settings have been altered from what was previously working.

I've even tried unmounting the HDD in windows before shutting down. I've also tried restarting windows and booting straight into arch, nothing.

I'll keep looking for methods to disable them, maybe I missed something.

For what it's worth, I have an SSD and a HDD. The SSD is a 180 GB split 90GB/90GB Arch/Windows and the HDD is formatted to exfat. This error is occuring on the HDD and doesn't seem to be effecting the SSD at all.

Edit: Ran a chkdsk /f in windows and am still getting the same errors.

Last edited by MXIIA (2014-01-08 01:28:02)

#6 2014-01-08 04:28:57

rodyaj

WonderWoofy wrote:

Honestly, if you don't use windows anymore, I would personally make the effort to back up the contents of $HOME and then reformat to a POSIX filesystem.

That's what I actually did do because I couldn't be bothered solving the problem. Using a POSIX filesystem locks you in though and removes the convenience of plug and play portability to more commonly found Windows computers. Now I can't just plug the external disk into my girlfriends/family members laptops when I need to get files off it. I have to setup ssh/filesharing on each laptop. I know you can get ext based Windows drivers, but I don't really trust them.

Last edited by rodyaj (2014-01-08 04:31:31)

Board footer