You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-08 07:07:25

dik_dak

[SOLVED] Issue with installed font not appearing in fc-list

I'm having an issue with a font I installed that should be available, but isn't.

I have:

• installed ttf-powerline-fonts-git

• ran mkfontdir in /usr/share/fonts/TTF and /usr/share/fonts/OTF (where the packaged fonts were installed)

• and ran fc-cache -fv after the package was installed.

However, when I run fc-list, one of the fonts I installed is not listed. When run as root, it is. As a result, I cannot use it in my applications.

$ fc-list | grep Literation
$ sudo fc-list | grep Literation
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Literation Mono Powerline Bold Italic.ttf: Liberation Mono for Powerline,Literation Mono Powerline:style=Bold Italic
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Literation Mono Powerline.ttf: Liberation Mono for Powerline,Literation Mono Powerline:style=Regular
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Literation Mono Powerline Bold.ttf: Liberation Mono for Powerline,Literation Mono Powerline:style=Bold
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/Literation Mono Powerline Italic.ttf: Liberation Mono for Powerline,Literation Mono Powerline:style=Italic
$ ls -lh /usr/share/fonts/TTF | grep Literation
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 273K Jan  7 23:37 Literation Mono Powerline Bold Italic.ttf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 296K Jan  7 23:37 Literation Mono Powerline Bold.ttf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 270K Jan  7 23:37 Literation Mono Powerline Italic.ttf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 308K Jan  7 23:54 Literation Mono Powerline.ttf

Other fonts that were installed in the same package, however, work just fine.

$ fc-list | grep "DejaVu Sans Mono .* Powerline.ttf"
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/DejaVu Sans Mono Bold for Powerline.ttf: DejaVu Sans Mono for Powerline:style=Bold
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/DejaVu Sans Mono Oblique for Powerline.ttf: DejaVu Sans Mono for Powerline:style=Oblique
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/DejaVu Sans Mono for Powerline.ttf: DejaVu Sans Mono for Powerline:style=Book
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/DejaVu Sans Mono Bold Oblique for Powerline.ttf: DejaVu Sans Mono for Powerline:style=Bold Oblique
$ ls -lh /usr/share/fonts/TTF/ | grep "DejaVu Sans Mono .* Powerline.ttf"
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 308K Jan  7 23:37 DejaVu Sans Mono Bold for Powerline.ttf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 232K Jan  7 23:37 DejaVu Sans Mono Bold Oblique for Powerline.ttf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 327K Jan  7 23:37 DejaVu Sans Mono for Powerline.ttf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 238K Jan  7 23:37 DejaVu Sans Mono Oblique for Powerline.ttf

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Please advise.

Last edited by dik_dak (2014-01-08 20:03:43)

#2 2014-01-08 07:21:30

frank604

Re: [SOLVED] Issue with installed font not appearing in fc-list

Hello,
as a double check, did you also add those two directories to the font path? (add in .xinitrc)

xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/TTF
xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/OTF

#3 2014-01-08 07:23:22

karol
Archivist

#4 2014-01-08 18:42:37

dik_dak

Hi guys, thanks for your help. I'm still having the same issue, however.

frank604 wrote:

Hello,
as a double check, did you also add those two directories to the font path? (add in .xinitrc)

xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/TTF
xset +fp /usr/share/fonts/OTF

I just tried this. Unfortunately it didn't change anything. fc-list still doesn't pick up the font, but it does when I run it as root.

@karol, I did that as well. I followed J3RN's instructions in that thread by backing up my fonts, adding them back after install, and running mkfontdir (which creates the fonts.dir that was the subject of the issue in that thread, I believe).
His reply, for what it's worth.

I'm not terribly sure if this helps, but I can confirm that the "...fonts.dir exists in the filesystem" issue is still there. I moved my fonts.dir files and copied in the contents after-the-fact. Other than that, it works and I am appreciative.

What confuses me is that I can use every other font that I installed from that package without a problem. They all appear in fc-list (without running it as root). It's just this one specific font that isn't listed (unless fc-list is run as root). The file permissions are all the same as well, as I mentioned previously.

Got any other ideas?

#5 2014-01-08 20:03:16

dik_dak

Managed to figure this out with some help from IRC. I removed the AUR package and just dumped all of the fonts it was using into ~/.local/share/fonts/. After running fc-cache again, fc-list picked up the font and I can now use it.

Board footer