You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-10 23:28:29

badvibra

[Solved] Gummiboot installation error

Hi all,
I'm trying to dual boot win 8 and arch with my surface pro. Everything was working well until I got to the bootloader installation part in the beginners guide. I've installed Arch before but never as a dual boot, and never with a uefi motherboard, so I'm confused about the efi system partition.
Everything I've read says that creating a second ESP causes problems with the windows partition so I tried to install gummiboot to the windows ESP which, under lsblk, was listed as a 200mb, vfat partition.

This was mounted to /boot, but when I ran gummiboot install it gave me an error saying, "file system is not a fat efi system partition (ESP)". I read this forum page: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=171159 because the user received the same error but it turned out to be because they weren't chrooted, which I was. Should I not be trying to install gummiboot to the windows efi? Does anyone know a way around/better way to do this?

Last edited by badvibra (2014-01-12 03:36:50)

#2 2014-01-10 23:32:47

WonderWoofy

Re: [Solved] Gummiboot installation error

Just install it manually.  Copy the /usr/lib/gummiboot/gummibootx64.efi file onto the ESP, then use efibootmgr to make a firmware entry.  Then of course you'll still have to create the /boot/loader config stuff.

In reality, the gummiboot command simply copies /usr/lib/gummiboot/gummibootx64.efi to /boot/EFI/gummiboot/gummibootx64.efi as well as /boot/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi.  Then it makes a firmware entry only for the one /boot/EFI/gummiboot/gummibootx64.efi.  If you do a 'gummiboot update' it just copies the binary to those two spots again without doing the firmware entry thing.

#3 2014-01-10 23:37:43

badvibra

Re: [Solved] Gummiboot installation error

Alright I'll try that tonight. Thanks for the quick reply!

Board footer