You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-05 17:18:43

Caesium

jus a couple of questions

Hi,  I got arch up and running xwindows etc, but I have a couple questions concerning arch in general. I see it's coined as an i686 optimized distro, and i'm wondering , what parts exactly are optimized? I've rebuilt the kernel for 2.6.2 yesterdays (or the day before?) release, instead of useing the package upgrade (wasn't avalible at the time plus some other patchs I needed to apply to the source) so i'm wondering what all is acctually optimized?

#2 2004-02-05 17:31:57

sarah31
Website

Re: jus a couple of questions

the entire package tree is built with :

-march=i686 -pipe -O2

that makes it an i686 optimized distro. while thing s such as athlon-xp or pentium are also i686 they have specific architecture features that differentiate them from each other. i686 is generic and will run on all i686 archtecture chips.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-02-05 18:11:16

Caesium

I'm running an athlon 3200+ (barton 400mhz fsb) would recompiling everything on my own specifically for athlon be worth it? Kde seems a bit slugish, (tho from what i've read thats apparently due to bloat).

Also, what would you recomend for a software mixer? hardware mixing in linux is apprently not supported for my platform

sys specs

amd 3200+
gigabyte 7NNXP (nforce2 mcp+ sound strom, intel gigabit lan, serial ata raid, ite ide raid, firewire etc etc)
1gb (2x512mb dimms in dc)
ati 9800 pro vid

other misc crap..  I've gotten both nics working with 2.6.2 but the nextwork script seems to not like it when one nic doesn't get an ip from dhcp (if the first fails it doesn't appear to even try the second nic). only thing bothering me atm is the sound, I can get xmms to work, and the amixer etc work i have alsa compiled in the kernal but kde gives me no love, and only able to have one active sound source at a time.

also one other question ;p I noticed in another thread you refer to useing arch as "when i used arch.."  what do you use now? =p

thanks.

#4 2004-02-05 18:39:31

sarah31
Website

Caesium wrote:

I'm running an athlon 3200+ (barton 400mhz fsb) would recompiling everything on my own specifically for athlon be worth it? Kde seems a bit slugish, (tho from what i've read thats apparently due to bloat).

you can recompile your entire system with optimizations that better suit your processor. however, i am really not sure just how much a difference it will make.

Also, what would you recomend for a software mixer? hardware mixing in linux is apprently not supported for my platform

as in mixer for making music tracks and such? if yes then i am not sure and i would recommend looking at what there is on freshmeat.net.

sys specs

amd 3200+
gigabyte 7NNXP (nforce2 mcp+ sound strom, intel gigabit lan, serial ata raid, ite ide raid, firewire etc etc)
1gb (2x512mb dimms in dc)
ati 9800 pro vid

nice system

other misc crap..  I've gotten both nics working with 2.6.2 but the nextwork script seems to not like it when one nic doesn't get an ip from dhcp (if the first fails it doesn't appear to even try the second nic).

this might be better posed in the networking section

only thing bothering me atm is the sound, I can get xmms to work, and the amixer etc work i have alsa compiled in the kernal but kde gives me no love, and only able to have one active sound source at a time.

so you have alsa and sound working but currently are unable to get two different sounds at one time? i expect that you will need arts to do this if you are in kde but i assumed that the arts daemon would start when you start kde.

if i am on the wrong path here i recommend separating this out into its own topuic and titling it in some way that will draw the attention of those that will be able to answer (ie kde sound issues)

also one other question ;p I noticed in another thread you refer to useing arch as "when i used arch.."  what do you use ...

for my own personal reasons i moved to crux.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-02-06 14:12:05

dariball
Website

only thing bothering me atm is the sound, I can get xmms to work, and the amixer etc work i have alsa compiled in the kernal but kde gives me no love, and only able to have one active sound source at a time.

there is a little library on the alsa site that allows you to hve more than only one aktive sound source on your soundcvard running, even for oss...

maybe check http://www.alsa-project.org for that...

nothing,
maybe I have a perfect signature _someday_

Board footer