You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-12 04:57:41

Basudev

Hibernation not working

I've different partition for root, usr , var and swap. Booting is done using UEFI. My software architecture is x64. systemd is the current tool I'm using for power management.

# systemctl suspend

works but

# systemctl hibernate

doesn't work. I already viewed wiki page but that doesn't seem to help me. I'm novice and it confuses me more.

#2 2014-01-12 05:18:27

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Hibernation not working

Please read How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: your post does
not tell us what is not working, list any errors from your logs, etc.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2014-01-12 14:08:19

Basudev

jasonwryan wrote:

Please read How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: your post does
not tell us what is not working, list any errors from your logs, etc.

Whenever I use

systemctl hibernate

Nothing seems to happen. What is the error how can I say? I think hibernation function not working is an error, isn't it? Don't take it otherwise but it seems really difficult. Please suggest me.

Last edited by Basudev (2014-01-12 14:09:01)

#4 2014-01-12 14:27:48

tomk
Forum Fellow

What journal entries are generated when you attempt to hibernate?

Last edited by tomk (2014-01-12 14:28:01)

#5 2014-01-14 06:56:41

browntown

Welcome to Arch. It truely is rewarding to get everything setup, and the process is ongoing for me just via the shear number of configuration possibilities.

The wiki and forum are a treasure of knowledge and I search them both often.  I will say the forum can be intimidating though as the vast majority of contributors are much more experienced than I.  I'm always worried I'm not posting enough details when asking a question. I encourage you to document all the things you might have tried or considered in fixing your problem,  or even cross link to similar problems and how they may relate to yours.

I get your frustration, and since this is the Newbie forum, I think we can help you narrow down your issue so the pros can answer.

My personal experience is that the different power managers don't get along especially well.  Systemd is slowly taking over almost everything that acpid. pm-tools, upower were designed to do.   I'd start by checking if you have acpid installed, and remove it.  Then try.

Back to your question, how to invoke hibernation with uefi.  I'll assume your swap partition is larger than your ram size (wiki says not necessary, but I understand that it is good way to rule size issue out)
The wiki only gives examples of using hibernation with a swap partition for grub.

I know little about UEFI, but I suspect you can find documentation on how to pass a kernel parameter.  However it is done, you need

resume=<swap_partition>

I use

resume=/dev/sda3

, but I'm sure the UUID route would be better for something like UEFI - that's a guess though.

Let us know what you've tried... 

Welcome to the Arch rabbit hole.

Board footer