You are not logged in.

#26 2014-01-14 15:30:55

scap

Re: updating with pacman fails

OK as I expected I was not well received and maybe rightfully so. There was a reason I posted this in the "newbie corner" and not in the pacman & package upgrade forum. I was frustrated on my last post and it didn't come across well. For that I apologize. I was and still would like more information about how packages get update and how this happens. That is really what I was looking for. What is the process for updated packages to the repository. I am sorry if it came across like I was questioning the developers ability to work. I am questioning the process. I would think that all the packages would be built in testing and then once updated all moved over to the community. I was never looking for sympathy just knowledge of how the process works. I am not saying that the process is flawed. I don't have all the information, nor am I in a position where I could say that. I am still pretty new with ARCH and even though I have lot of Linux experience I am still trying to learn more about Arch. I have lots of Linux systems and my main one is ARCH and gets updated regularly. This happened to be a VM for a project that I haven't had to work on in some time. There was a urgent feature request and I had to spin it back up.

For those that tried to help me thank you. I have been able to update the system and get that work done. For me this is now about learning about how packages get updated and what I should expect in the future.

#27 2014-01-15 00:11:15

mir91
Banned

Arch goes well with ZFS because you might sometimes want to roll back your system to a previous snapshot, if things break on a package update. That happens naturally because Arch is pretty bleeding edge. So if it's a fun project, you're good to go, but if it's a production system, definitely consider ZFS.

Last edited by mir91 (2014-01-15 00:12:03)

#28 2014-01-15 00:21:23

karol
Archivist

I know some Archers use btrfs for the snapshots and rollbacks. I'm not sure how stable is ZFS for Linux.

Board footer