You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-14 20:16:24

kelnoky

Xmonad: certain windows/applications get displayed on all workspaces

After recent upgrades (relevant pacman.log: http://pastie.org/8633439), some of my programs get wrongly displayed on all workspaces. Mainly, it's mplayer/mpv, the native Steam client and the native linux game "Heroes of Newerth" (HoN).

I start HoN on Workspace 7 in Xmonad and it should stay there. However, after I have started the game and switch to a different workspace, I still see the HoN screen in its entirety. However, I can issue commands to the program that is on the workspace I switched to. For example, I switched to workspace 1 where I have my browser and pressed CTRL+T a few times. After I had closed HoN, I could see that indeed the browser had a few more open tabs. So the focus switches correctly, yet I still see nothing but HoN. The same happens with mplayer or mpv. When I open any video in it and pause it, everything is as it should be when I switch to a different workspace. However, if I switch workspaces while the video is running, it will also be displayed on all other workspaces above all other programs. So I guess it has something to do with programs/windows that update themselves to show something new. Cause it's the same with every Steam window - whenever the Steam store window updates a screenshot or something, Steam will be on all workspaces.

I have tried to replicate this with Openbox to make sure it's got something to do with Xmonad, and yes, this does not occur in Openbox. A buddy of mine has the same problem with the same programs (plus a wine game), he is running xmonad on archlinux as well.
Here is my xmonad.hs: http://pastie.org/8633442

Last edited by kelnoky (2014-01-14 20:33:11)

#2 2014-01-15 14:12:39

lrm
Website

Re: Xmonad: certain windows/applications get displayed on all workspaces

I updated last night and this started happening to me as well. I've noticed it when I run Chromium in a workspace that is not currently displayed, for example. If that browser window is on a flash site, it will pop into focus on the workspace I'm currently looking at. Not sure what's going on here, but you're not alone.

#3 2014-01-15 15:38:20

skottish
Forum Fellow

I saw this happen a little while ago and I believe that the solution is to rebuild your local copy of xmonad:

xmonad --recompile && xmonad --restart

#4 2014-01-15 16:08:53

kelnoky

Unfortunately,

xmonad --recompile && xmonad --restart

doesn't work. sad

#5 2014-01-15 16:47:53

Jellicent

I guess it's this (though I am using openbox):

It's a problem within nvidia drivers or xorg. I guess it's nvidia drivers though. It applies to everything that uses openGL afaik.
There's two work-arounds I know about right now. Downgrading or using a compositor like xcompmgr.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1370960
http://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/comme … _causes_a/

Last edited by Jellicent (2014-01-15 16:49:54)

#6 2014-01-15 17:03:57

kelnoky

Thanks, Jellicent. Yeh, my buddy with the same problem said that downgrading gets rid of the problems, but downgrading nvidia and xorg presents all kinds of different problems (you have to downgrade a whole lot more), so that just sucks.

So we need to find out whether it's xorg or nvidia and then file a bug report, I guess?

#7 2014-01-15 17:35:06

Jellicent

kelnoky wrote:

Thanks, Jellicent. Yeh, my buddy with the same problem said that downgrading gets rid of the problems, but downgrading nvidia and xorg presents all kinds of different problems (you have to downgrade a whole lot more), so that just sucks.

So we need to find out whether it's xorg or nvidia and then file a bug report, I guess?

Yeah, downgrading is not really an option for me either. Plus I've been using a compositor since I started out pretty much...
I just stop it when playing games, for no tearing, but I guess I'd rather have tearing than a persistent window. o_o

So yeah, the only option here seems to find out what the problem is caused by and file a bug report.

#8 2014-01-16 00:08:03

verno

To be more precise: I downgraded xorg-server-common (1.15.0-5 -> 1.14.4-1), xf86-input-evdev (2.8.2-2 -> 2.8.2-1), xorg-server (1.15.0-5 -> 1.14.4-1), libgcrypt (1.6.0-1 -> 1.5.3-1). Then i could switch workspaces as intended. But i got lots of errors with other applications. Like mplayer didn't work because the newer libgcrypt couldn't be found etc. And ofc i don't want to use some old crypto libs anyway.
But that has shown me, that somehow the upgrade to xorg-1.15 had broken things. But i can't really say if that is xorgs ord xmonads error, because it works well with openbox.

I'll take a look at xcompmgr. Thanks for the hint.

Edit: It works like a charm. Thank you very much. smile

Last edited by verno (2014-01-16 00:45:18)

#9 2014-01-26 17:25:06

Shammah

I can confirm that installing and running xcompmgr fixed the issue for me. Would be great if I didn't need that workaround though.

#10 2014-02-24 13:55:24

pilotkeller
Website

Board footer