You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-16 16:00:28

ArchCurious

Graphics Driver is preventing login

I am relatively new to arch (formerly a Ubuntu user) and have recently broken my laptop.  While I think that the fix may be relatively easy I cannot find any posts to help me. 
Situation:

I have an Asus laptop UX32VD-DH71.  It was running successfully.  Enlightenment17 is the Desktop Environment and SLIM was being used at the Login manager.  The computer has an UEFI bios.  This laptop is my wife's and it took me awhile to get everything set up to work for her.  One of my problems was finding the correct graphics driver. 

Yesterday I ran pacman -Syu and I noticed that it updated my graphics driver.  I rebooted and everything worked.  This morning, when my wife logged in, Enlightenment hung on a black screen.  I entered the command prompt (typing 'exit' at slim login) and removed graphics drivers.  I then installed the xf86-video-intel.  The computer logged in and worked (though the screen resolution was off).  I then booted into the command prompt ('exit' at slim login) and saw an error message about nouveau driver.  So I removed the intel driver and installed the xf86-video-nouveau.   Upon reboot My system shows a command prompt for a split second and then attempts to load SLIM.  All I see after that is some haphazard color bands.  I have tried 'ctrl + alt + Fkey's to get to command line and that does not work. I believe I need to prevent the system from booting SLIM and go to the command prompt, where I can remove the graphics driver and find the correct one. 

Question is as follows:
1) is there a way to boot to command line (not booting Slim)
or is there a way to prevent graphics drivers from loading on boot
or is there a way to boot arch on USB, then mount Harddrive and either disable slim or remove graphics driver
2) can anyone tell me what the correct graphics driver is for this system.

This is my first message board post. Thanks for your help.

#2 2014-01-16 16:19:58

fasza2mobile

Re: Graphics Driver is preventing login

You can prevent kernel modules from being loaded at boot by blacklisting the module in your bootloaders command line: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … acklisting

Pay particular attention to the "Using kernel command line" bit.

For you laptop I believe you should use either the open source noveau or the proprietary nvidia driver(named "nvidia" in pacman).

You can boot into arch install usb/cd and arch-chroot your way to your system, from there you can easily fix it. In fact in my humble opinion you should always keep an arch install usb or cd handy.

#3 2014-01-17 12:19:12

Lone_Wolf

ArchCurious wrote:

2) can anyone tell me what the correct graphics driver is for this system.

please post the output of lspci for that machine, then we can help to figure that out.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#4 2014-01-17 12:43:30

Kartious

ArchCurious wrote:

Question is as follows:
1) is there a way to boot to command line (not booting Slim)

> Boot from Live CD,
> Mount Partitions,
> Arch-chroot into root drive
> systemctl disable slim.service
> Exit the chroot and unmounts partitions
> Reboot

#5 2014-01-19 13:20:45

ArchCurious

Thanks for the help fasza2mobile, Lone_Wolf, and Kartious.  I was able to use ARCH-CHROOT to disable slim and boot to the command prompt.  The output of lspci is as follows:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core Processor Thermal Subsystem (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family Thermal Management Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF117M [GeForce 610M/710M / GT 620M/625M/630M/720M] (rev a1)
03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6235 (rev 24)

I loaded nvidia from pacman and the computer boots (and loads enlightenment) without error.  However, the current resolution cannot be changed and is the wrong proportion for my screen.  When I run arandr to set the resolution I see the following message in the terminal:

(process:745): Gtk-WARNING**: Locale not supported by C library.
   Using the fallback 'C' locale.
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-package/screenlayout/xrandr.py:58: UserWarning: XRandR wrote to stderr, but did not
eport an eroor (Message was: 'xrand: failed to get size of gamma for output default\n')
  warnings.warn("XRandR wrote to stderr, but did not report an error (Message was: %r)"%err)

arandr will run, but provides me with no other resolution options. Any thoughts?

(Thanks so much for the help.  My wife is encouraging me to return her to Ubuntu, but I have had so much more luck with Arch.... I just occasionally break it:)

Board footer