You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-21 14:54:08

saman_artorious

gui program doesn't look good with startx

I did not install a DE in arch linux, just to keep it lightweight. However, my GUI application doesn't look good running with start x.
is there any package I can install to make it look better, like fonts, visuals, or the only way is to install either KDE or GNOME desktops?

#2 2014-01-21 15:06:23

karol
Archivist

Re: gui program doesn't look good with startx

What GUI application are you talking about? What DE are you using? Can you post a screenshot?
saman_artorious, unless you post some details, people won't be able to help you.

#3 2014-01-21 15:20:57

saman_artorious

ok, by DE I mean GNOME or KDE. I didn't install any yet.
just using startx to run my program. My program is made up of some buttons, and it uses some opegl. As I checked qt opengl samples run well with startx, however, the buttons and alike do not look good. I am sorry as I am only working with console and startx I cannot give you a screenshot.  if there isno way then I will install gnome to solve the problem.

#4 2014-01-21 15:23:29

karol
Archivist

You can use e.g. scrot https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?name=scrot to take the screenshot and upload it somewhere, then post a link here.
Have you read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Qt ?

#5 2014-01-21 19:11:25

ewaller
Administrator

If you did not install a desktop environment or one of the windows managers, and you are using startx without having created your very own ~/.xinitrc, then you are using a very simple WM called twm.
You may really want to look at the wiki documentation that was linked in your other thread -- If you are trying to stay light, there are other choices to Gnome or KDE.   Look at i3,  Openbox, xfce4, or any of the other beloved environments discussed at length of these forums.

Even with twm, you can install and run a screen shot program.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer