You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-21 12:53:34

CaptainKirk

Replacing my Mother Board

I am now going to replace my Intel DH55PJ mobo with a ZOTAC H61-MATX. My mobo has a problem with one of the RAM banks so I bought this Zotac as a replacement. It's supposed to be compatible AFAIK.

I use an add-on dual head video card so I think I won't have any problems there, but I am wondering if there is anything I can do to prepare myself for the mobo switch. Backing up data is a given, but is there anything I should think about with regard to drivers for the mobo itself or the onboard audio for example? I use PulseAudio presently.

Thank you.

#2 2014-01-21 13:09:39

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Re: Replacing my Mother Board

Inputs could be different but I would think that you're fine to just switch it out and boot.  If drives get reassigned and depending on how your have things setup, you might need to chroot from a live media and rebuild your boot loader config and or fstab.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#3 2014-01-21 13:53:29

CaptainKirk

OK, very good. Now that you clarify it, I'm all set. I know how to do that if need be.

Thank you.

#4 2014-01-21 14:07:46

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You *might* need to rebuild your initramfs (`mkinitcpio -p linux`) but even in the worst case scenario for this concern, the fallback image would still work fine to boot with.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2014-01-21 14:15:29

alphaniner

Before you power off your old mobo for the last time, you should disable any network-related services and set any network mounts (nfs, cifs) to noauto or nofail.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#6 2014-01-21 14:42:23

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

alphaniner wrote:

Before you power off your old mobo for the last time, you should disable any network-related services and set any network mounts (nfs, cifs) to noauto or nofail.

Good advice... Likely the NIC I'd from udev will be different on the new MB so be prepared to reassign it in netctl if that is what you're using.

#7 2014-01-21 19:09:44

CaptainKirk

I see in systemctl this:

dhcpcd.service                                           loaded active running   dhcpcd on all interfaces
dhcpcd@eth0.service                                      loaded active running   dhcpcd on eth0

So I think I'm OK there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I have no network mounts.

#8 2014-01-21 21:00:34

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

You must have /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules intact which is fine.  So long as your new MB has one onboard NIC, it should be eth0.  If you are literally transferring the HDD (or SSD) to the new MB, it should work.

Board footer