You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-22 17:44:26

HecateInAction

Dual boot not dualbooting

hi,

I searched the forums and wiki but haven't found a topic with the same issue.
When I start up my laptop it automatically boots windows and i cannot choose which os loads.
I installed Archlinux on a seperate hard drive and also made a efi partition on that hard drive.
I installed gummiboot as boot manager.
No errors occured during the installation and configuration.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

#2 2014-01-22 17:55:44

drcouzelis
Website

Re: Dual boot not dualbooting

What is "a separate hard drive"? Do you mean a USB hard drive? In the pre-boot settings on your computer, which drive is configured to boot first?

#3 2014-01-22 18:18:24

HecateInAction

drcouzelis wrote:

What is "a separate hard drive"? Do you mean a USB hard drive? In the pre-boot settings on your computer, which drive is configured to boot first?

I have 2 hd in my laptop: 1 of 250 GB on which I installed Windows. The second one is 500 GB and I installed Archlinux on it.
My first hd is configured to boot first.

#4 2014-01-22 19:18:51

drcouzelis
Website

HecateInAction wrote:

So, the hard drive with Windows on it is configured to boot first, so that explains why Windows is booting.

I haven't used gummiboot before, but if it's like the boot loaders that I'm used to then it gets installed on a hard drive. It sounds like you installed gummiboot on the hard drive with Arch Linux on it. So, you can either install gummiboot onto the hard drive with Windows on it, or simply tell your computer to boot the second hard drive first.

...right? That seems almost TOO easy, like I'm missing something... hmm

Last edited by drcouzelis (2014-01-22 19:19:40)

#5 2014-01-22 21:13:53

HecateInAction

drcouzelis wrote:
HecateInAction wrote:

So, the hard drive with Windows on it is configured to boot first, so that explains why Windows is booting.

I haven't used gummiboot before, but if it's like the boot loaders that I'm used to then it gets installed on a hard drive. It sounds like you installed gummiboot on the hard drive with Arch Linux on it. So, you can either install gummiboot onto the hard drive with Windows on it, or simply tell your computer to boot the second hard drive first.

...right? That seems almost TOO easy, like I'm missing something... hmm

I read on the wiki that gummiboot detects the windows boot manager automatically, I also installed other linux distributions(ubuntu, debian, mageia) before where I didn't need to select which hd to boot.
So the idea that I needed to go into the boot setup and alter it never occured to me.

Thank you for your help

edit: is there a less roundabout way to select which OS to boot instead of going into the boot menu everytime?

Last edited by HecateInAction (2014-01-22 21:34:27)

#6 2014-01-22 21:41:41

drcouzelis
Website

HecateInAction wrote:

is there a less roundabout way to select which OS to boot instead of going into the boot menu everytime?

Yes, add a boot entry for Windows in Gummiboot.

...also, my computer has a keyboard key I can press during boot that will let me select which drive to boot from. I suppose you could use something like that instead.

Last edited by drcouzelis (2014-01-22 21:42:01)

Board footer