You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-24 05:10:44

wzyboy

[SOLVED] Configuring pam_fprintd.so properly?

I managed to install aur/libfprint-vfs5011-git and make my laptop's fingerprint reader 138a:0017 work. However, I encountered some problems when using pam_fprintd.so.

As ArchWiki suggests (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fprint), to make fprint work, one should edit configuration files in /etc/pam.d/ and add this line:

auth      sufficient pam_fprintd.so

I add that for both /etc/pam.d/systemd-local-login and /etc/pam.d/i3lock, as the first (none-comment) line, and it works:

* In tty1, I type my username, Enter, a prompt tells me to scan my finger, I did, then I'm in.
* When i3lock is activated, I press "Enter" directly, it says "Verifying", then I scan my finger, okay, I'm in.

There are problems however:

* When logging in in a tty, if I do not want to / cannot scan my finger, I have to produce three or more scan errors before I could see a password prompt.
* When unlocking i3lock, I have totally no way to unlock with password! If it does not get a correct fingerprint, it will just stuck there "Verifying". I cannot even switch to tty2 and to kill i3lock because when trying to log into tty2, the password prompt does not appear! (I think it's blocked by pam_fprintd.so)

Does anyone know how to "skip" to the next authentication method in a PAM stack? Or am I configuring those configuration files wrong?

Last edited by wzyboy (2014-01-25 15:50:38)

#2 2014-01-25 15:51:04

wzyboy

Re: [SOLVED] Configuring pam_fprintd.so properly?

Okay, I now realized this has nothing to do with PAM.

Last edited by wzyboy (2014-01-25 15:51:22)

#3 2014-08-28 10:17:59

g0rdin

Re: [SOLVED] Configuring pam_fprintd.so properly?

Just posting this for people who might find this and have the same problem with i3lock:

replacing the contents of /etc/pam.d/i3lock with this will enable password auth as well as fingerprint authentication in i3lock:

auth required    pam_env.so
auth sufficient  pam_unix.so try_first_pass likeauth nullok
auth sufficient  pam_fprintd.so

Board footer