You are not logged in.

#1 2006-01-21 11:46:31

Birdman

Rosegarden - Error on start-up

I an new to arch and I am enjoying the joys of pacman. I have installed Rosegarden with no errors but when it comes to starting up the app I do not get past a splash screen. The error output below is the tail, the first listed item was replicated many times and then when it gave up the final lines were dumped. Are there support services that need to be running at boot before I run Rosegarden?

rosegarden: RosegardenGUIDoc::syncDevices - waiting for Sequencer to come up
rosegarden: RosegardenGUIDoc::syncDevices - waiting for Sequencer to come up
rosegarden: couldn't kill any sequencer processes
rosegarden: RosegardenGUIApp::slotSequencerExited Sequencer exited
rosegarden: RosegardenGUIApp::slotSequencerExited Sequencer exited
rosegarden: RosegardenGUIApp::queryExit
ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 2493, errno = 32
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
  Major opcode:  20
  Minor opcode:  0
  Resource id:  0x2200233
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
  Major opcode:  20
  Minor opcode:  0
  Resource id:  0x2200233
  ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 2508, errno = 0

Thanks.

I have just visited the support site and the FAQs mention this problem, particularly with a reference to problems with SUSE where there a compile error and the package does not work. Is anyone running this package to prove that it does work?

#2 2006-01-22 00:28:06

lumiwa

Re: Rosegarden - Error on start-up

Birdman wrote:

I an new to arch and I am enjoying the joys of pacman. I have installed Rosegarden with no errors but when it comes to starting up the app I do not get past a splash screen. The error output below is the tail, the first listed item was replicated many times and then when it gave up the final lines were dumped. Are there support services that need to be running at boot before I run Rosegarden?

I have just visited the support site and the FAQs mention this problem, particularly with a reference to problems with SUSE where there a compile error and the package does not work. Is anyone running this package to prove that it does work?

I don't know what is wrong it doesn't works on my computer too - if I run system ''freezing'' and help just power off. BTW I did run same version on SuSE and Debian.

#3 2006-01-22 10:11:11

mpie

Its working fine for me....

do a forum search on midi enable it then try again..

#4 2006-01-22 11:04:58

filoktetes

It works fine for me as well. I also tried it without any extra services running, and had no problems.

From the messages it looks like there's something strange with your soudcard setup, but I don't know what it can be. Is your system completely up to date. If it isn't I'd update with 'pacman -Syu', and everything might just work. If that still doesn't help, I guess there must be some strange issue with your hardware or kernel setup.

Or less likely, there might be an overlooked package dependency to Rosegarden, some program that everyone has innstalled that Rosegarden needs, only you don't have it installed, and by a mistake it isn't installed along with Rosegarden.

So, if you haven't already, try to update your system first, and see what happens smile

#5 2006-01-23 12:47:57

Birdman

Thanks for the feedback. I updated my system about 10 days ago. No probs running another update though  smile 

I think it could be hardware related. I am using the onboard sound chip for sound at the moment, I haven't got around to purchasing a new soundcard. Could it be that Rosegarden is looking for hardware that I do not have? I assumed the app would run and allow me to configure the various interfaces as required. My reason for installing was to take a look at the score writing facilities. I have used lilypond in the past and was curious to see how Rosegarden graphical frontend for lilypond works. In theory I should not need any special hardware for this, but as Rosegarden is a mutlifunctional package perhaps it wants to see all of the bits up front?

#6 2006-01-23 13:30:33

filoktetes

I searched the rosegarden mailing list a bit for you.
It seems that other people with the same problem haven't had the snd-seq module loaded. Try to load this, and you might be ok. You should get a /dev/snd/seq file then, if it isn't there there's something wrong with your sound system setup, I think.

#7 2006-01-23 13:58:16

mpie

what sound card do you have.....

my onboard intel8x0 works firn try ....

modprobe snd-seq-oss

Pacman -S timidity++

timidity -iA

then start rosegarden

#8 2006-01-23 14:45:24

lumiwa

mpie wrote:

Its working fine for me....

do a forum search on midi enable it then try again..

I have a SB Live! but rosegarde stop at GUI-xml parse and I didn't seen more because at this point computer ''freezing''.

BTW: KMid works fine.

#9 2006-01-23 15:01:24

mpie

search the forums there is loads of info to get you going....

http://bbs.archlinux.org/search.php?mod … e8348d1398

#10 2006-01-23 22:28:39

Birdman

Got it sorted  big_smile  The answer came from a different question I asked in the newbie section - I couldn't find alsamixer! Now that I have loaded the alsa-utils I am in business.

Thanks everyone.

Board footer