You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-13 16:50:04

Moo-Crumpus

a kind of tasksel, and some font / theme issue

Hi, it is me again. After heavy fighting my own limitations and several reinstallations (but less than you count fingers on ypur hand) I am back on arch. During installation, I followed the readme that it might be a gould idea to install just the base packages, and an editor could be also a good idea. During installation, packages where sorted in a kind of tasksel (who knows debian) - well sorted groups of packages, f.e. "gnome", "kde" etc. While I am on gnome for some time, I feel that my installation misses some features. F.e. I have no possibility to change time via gnome. The admin tools (group, users, login ... - fith toe ware, I guess) is missing. Some themes are crippled, like gorilla, and some font stuff is happening as evolution overviews look rather empty. And, somehow, the system has little built in sounds, hasn't it?

Well, if you have any idea how to fetch packages via an overview like tasksel ( ore that installation thing ) ore what packages I could need to complete gnome a bit, your ideas are welcome.  smile

Btw. did I mention I really like archlin?

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#2 2004-01-15 16:42:40

Moo-Crumpus

Re: a kind of tasksel, and some font / theme issue

Humh, well, I agree there will not be a  tool like tasksel, but ... what about evolution's inbox tree view seems to be empty as no subject's letters are visible, and the 'ole thing is empty inspite of the symbols that show there is a mass of mail in the folders. Seems to be no arch prob, as I saw the same behaviour on debian sid several days ago. But I can't believe there is not one who solved this thing?
C'mon, may this be true?

Frumpus addict

#3 2004-01-16 17:42:19

Moo-Crumpus

well, seems to be my own thread. I found an entry in archs bugtraq, and 2 patches, but no hint how they could be used. Made them 660 already, tried to run and sh them, but no response:

http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do=details&id=219

Anyone who has THE idea will be virtually kissed  wink

Frumpus addict

#4 2004-01-17 01:44:04

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Dale says he already applied them and made a release.  That bug is closed.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2004-01-17 06:00:40

Moo-Crumpus

Thanks for involving, Xentac.

I saw the bug was closed. But, I don't understand how a bug - that is closed -  will occur on fresh installed arch. Closed or not, it exists, as far as I am concerned, if this is not a timeslice paradoxon. Therefore, I am still in need to fix that bug, personally.

Frumpus addict

#6 2004-01-17 09:53:22

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Are you sure that's the bug that's occuring?  From what I can tell that bug relates to gnome-themes and gnome-themes-extra not being valid gtk themes.  You said your problem has to do with evolution not displaying characters in the subject of emails, and nothing else.  That bug is for one thing that was fixed and your problem is something different.  Unless I'm not understanding something here...

BTW - Patching is the standard way to relate changes between source files.  Check some of these sites to learn a little bit about it (though I couldn't find anything htat explains it from hte ground up...)

http://www.linuxhq.com/patch-howto.html

http://www.miredespa.com/wmaton/linux/k … HOWTO.html

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#7 2004-01-17 09:57:10

RdsArts

It was closed. Then someone did something, and now GTK+2 can't read SVG files anymore.

I'd assume a recompile of GTK+2 would fix it, but unfortunately FreeType 2.1.7 seems to break that compiling on my system. I'm assuming it's GTK+2 that needs a recompile, as I can't think of anything else in the dependancy chain that'd deal with any image files.

You'll need librsvg installed if you recompile. It's not a requirement of anything, so you'd have to pull it manually.

edit: just compiled a old copy of FreeType and recompiled GTK+2, and that fixes the SVG issue so AFAIK that should fix any GNOME theme problems. That said, of the fonts, do they look "smaller" then they should? Are you using a LCD display?

#8 2004-01-26 19:46:35

Moo-Crumpus

- gtk2 crippled themes solved by fresh installation after hardware crash
- evolution without fonts in imap foldrs worked out to be an imap.web.de bug, seems they are still learning imap

Frumpus addict

#9 2004-02-03 20:50:01

Moo-Crumpus

RdsArts wrote:

It was closed. Then someone did something, and now GTK+2 can't read SVG files anymore.

I'd assume a recompile of GTK+2 would fix it, but unfortunately FreeType 2.1.7 seems to break that compiling on my system. I'm assuming it's GTK+2 that needs a recompile, as I can't think of anything else in the dependancy chain that'd deal with any image files.

You'll need librsvg installed if you recompile. It's not a requirement of anything, so you'd have to pull it manually.

edit: just compiled a old copy of FreeType and recompiled GTK+2, and that fixes the SVG issue so AFAIK that should fix any GNOME theme problems. That said, of the fonts, do they look "smaller" then they should? Are you using a LCD display?

I don't know if they are smaller than they should. Seems to be OK, but yes, I use a LCD display. Should I care for something?
Could'nt anyone fix this bug - I installed arch on several other machines, sometimes the bug appears, sometimes not. It definetly appears if I choose archlinux source on ftp install, as far as I have installed. Maybe a broken package?

I would be glad if someone could give me a straight solution, as my main working maschine has this bug again.  :?

Frumpus addict

#10 2004-02-03 21:07:20

Moo-Crumpus

I reinstalled several gtk2 / gtk1 / metacity packages. Seems that made it. I am not sure, but I think it was the last one: the gtk2 and gtk packages. - I checked themes after each pacman, but who can say if there is a lag or not.

Which one I reinstalled:

# pacman -Sy gtk2 gtk-xfce-engine  -> :?

# pacman -Sy metacity lighthouseblue-gtk1 -> :cry:

# pacman -Sy metacity lighthouseblue-gtk2  -> :evil:

# pacman -Sy gtk-xfce-engine -> roll

# pacman -Sy  gtk-theme-switch2 -> :?

# pacman -Sy gtk gtk2 -> big_smile

Frumpus addict

#11 2004-02-04 01:40:20

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Pink Chick wrote:

It definetly appears if I choose archlinux source on ftp install, as far as I have installed.

What do you mean when you say "choose archlinux source"?

- Blaise Pascal

#12 2004-02-06 14:57:12

Moo-Crumpus

hi, xentac,

I mean I have chosen archlinux.org as the server to fetch my packages from, not from an mirror.

Frumpus addict

Board footer