You are not logged in.

#1 2011-01-19 20:17:54

Ravenman

[Request] Big Blue Button

Hi to everyone:

Could anyone package this?: BigBlueButton big_smile

Big Blue Button is an open source project that has developed a video conferencing system similar to the commercial offerings of Adobe Connect and Elluminate. Big Blue Button was created for the purpose of teaching online. Just as Adobe and Elluminate do, Big Blue Button allows you to present slides, chat via text, talk with presentation participants via VOIP, and share screens.

More info here

A lot of thanks smile

#2 2011-03-07 20:39:00

CPUnltd
Website

Re: [Request] Big Blue Button

Would like to see this as well... just found out about this project!

Help grow the dev population... have your tech trained and certified!

#3 2014-02-01 19:07:49

siddhant.sh
Website

3 years down the line, this is 2014, and still Big Blue Button is not in either the official repos or in AUR. Please package it. How many Open Source VC softwares do we have anyway?

Last edited by siddhant.sh (2014-02-02 06:02:23)

The "sh" in my username is actually my shortened last name, and not a pseudo-geeky attempt at the shell. After 16 years of being caged by Windows, I have now decided to play with Linux and enter the world of FOSS.

#4 2014-02-01 21:16:36

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

^ maybe you could learn how to package it yourself, and contribute something, instead of  bumping old threads?

Or maybe the lack of a package shows how little interest there is in this software?

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2014-02-01 21:21:46)

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#5 2014-02-01 23:26:34

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Five years after 2011 isn't 2014.. You may want to get checked out for dyscalculia. tongue

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#6 2014-02-02 06:07:59

siddhant.sh
Website

Ok, I'll try to package it, after learning how to build packages. Why do users see this as an act of "bumping old threads"? I have just begun with Arch, and it has become my primary OS now, thus I need these tools.

I would like to ask: What video conference software do you use? I only came across Ekiga, and Big Blue Button, ( which at least according to Wikipedia, has more features than other FOSS VC tools ).

@WorMzy: I apologize for that calculation, I actually looked at the members' joining date, and treated it as the posting date. Corrected it, and this shall not happen again smile

Cheers

~~Siddhant

The "sh" in my username is actually my shortened last name, and not a pseudo-geeky attempt at the shell. After 16 years of being caged by Windows, I have now decided to play with Linux and enter the world of FOSS.

#7 2014-02-02 07:31:39

x33a
Forum Fellow

siddhant.sh wrote:

Ok, I'll try to package it, after learning how to build packages. Why do users see this as an act of "bumping old threads"? I have just begun with Arch, and it has become my primary OS now, thus I need these tools.

Arch moves forward very fast, and so questions that were relevant a year ago, may not be relevant today. So it is always better to open a new thread, and link to an older one if you think they are related.

In case of this thread though, it is not exactly necrobumping, since the package is still not present in the AUR. Of course, hypothetically, it could have been present in the AUR after 2011 and then deleted again tongue

I would like to ask: What video conference software do you use? I only came across Ekiga, and Big Blue Button, ( which at least according to Wikipedia, has more features than other FOSS VC tools ).

You should open a separate thread for this question.

#8 2014-02-02 16:57:05

ewaller
Administrator

x33a wrote:

...In case of this thread though, it is not exactly necrobumping, since the package is still not present in the AUR. Of course, hypothetically, it could have been present in the AUR after 2011 and then deleted again tongue

Note that no moderators had popped in to take action smile

I had seen this thread a when it came back to life.  My only thought at the time was that maybe there are underlying reasons why it has not been packaged.  In general, if it is easy, some one will package things on request.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#9 2014-02-02 17:12:40

Scimmia
Fellow

I took a look at it, there's a reason nobody has stepped up to package this thing. You're looking at over a dozen packages, a build system that's in the AUR, grails/tomcat framework, etc. This thing is a monster.

#10 2014-02-02 22:28:05

CPUnltd
Website

Might need a small team of maintainers vs a one-man army...

Help grow the dev population... have your tech trained and certified!

#11 2014-02-02 23:06:59

2ManyDogs
Forum Moderator

siddhant.sh wrote:

Why do users see this as an act of "bumping old threads"?

Because the last post in the thread was almost three years ago. That is the very definition of "bumping an old thread."

ewaller wrote:

My only thought at the time was that maybe there are underlying reasons why it has not been packaged.  In general, if it is easy, some one will package things on request.

This.

siddhant.sh, a three-year old thread is very old in the Arch world. My point was that there is probably a reason why no one has packaged this yet, and that rather than just bumping and complaining that no one had packaged it yet you might take some action. As you have seen from the replies, there is probably a very good reason why no one has packaged this software for Arch.

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2014-02-02 23:17:22)

How to post. A sincere effort to use modest and proper language and grammar is a sign of respect toward the community.

#12 2015-06-24 18:00:12

raininja

I will package it if I can get access to an arch server.

Board footer