You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-09 16:02:37

Mindstormscreator

[Solved] Hp-setup cannot find my HP Photosmart Plus printer

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up my HP Photosmart Plus printer. I have an Arch desktop acting as the CUPS server, which I ssh into from my laptop. I've gone through the CUPS installation and linux - linux sharing instructions. When I try to set up the printer through the CUPS web interface, it easily detects and adds my printer. I can access it from my laptop and print stuff fine. However, it will only print out:

**** Unable to open the initial device, quitting.

I discovered that the printer should instead be set up using hp-setup. Running hp-check -t gives this.
Running hp-check --fix prompts to reinstall the printer through hp-setup, and so it removes the printer from CUPS and starts hp-setup -i.

When I select "net" for the connection type (my printer is wireless), it can't find my printer, even though the standard CUPS interface had no problem with this.

[?1034h
[01mHP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.12.11)[0m
[01mPrinter/Fax Setup Utility ver. 9.0[0m

Copyright (c) 2001-14 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

(Note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.)

--------------------------------
| SELECT CONNECTION (I/O) TYPE |
--------------------------------

Num       Connection  Description                                               
            Type                                                                  
  --------  ----------  ----------------------------------------------------------
  0*        usb         Universal Serial Bus (USB)                                
  1         net         Network/Ethernet/Wireless (direct connection or JetDirect)
  2         par         Parallel Port (LPT:)                                      
[01m
Enter number 0...2 for connection type (q=quit, enter=usb*) ? [0m
Using connection type: net

error: No device selected/specified or that supports this functionality.

Here's a list of all the packages on the system, in case you're doubting that I forgot to install a particular dependency.

If you need any more info, just tell me.

Thanks!

Last edited by Mindstormscreator (2012-12-18 21:55:23)

#2 2012-12-09 18:57:58

Mindstormscreator

Re: [Solved] Hp-setup cannot find my HP Photosmart Plus printer

So I tried connecting it through USB instead, and now I get these messages:

Using queue name: Photosmart_Plus_B210
Locating PPD file... Please wait.
warning: No PPD found for model photosmart_plus_b210 using new algorithm. Trying old algorithm...

Found PPD file: drv:///hp/hpcups.drv/hp-photosmart_plus_b210_series.ppd
Enter a location description for this printer (q=quit) ?pool-room
Enter additonal information or notes for this printer (q=quit) ?

Adding print queue to CUPS:
Device URI: hp:/usb/Photosmart_Plus_B210_series?serial=CN15V3250N05J9
Queue name: Photosmart_Plus_B210
PPD file: drv:///hp/hpcups.drv/hp-photosmart_plus_b210_series.ppd
Information: 
error: Printer queue setup failed. Please restart CUPS and try again.

I've gone on a hunt for this ppd file before with no success. Does anyone know an absolute location to obtain it?

#3 2012-12-09 20:21:10

Mindstormscreator

Okay, I got it working through USB, although the original intent of this post isn't solved, so I'm not going to mark it.

Here's what has to be done:
Download this: http://ompldr.org/vZ211Mw
Move to /usr/share/cups/model/
Set up the printer through the CUPS web interface, and when asked for the ppd file, point to that
Exact printer model number for future Googlers: HP Photosmart Plus B210

Seeing as though I've gotten no replies whatsoever, I'm guessing this issue is too tricky or too obvious to fix.

#4 2012-12-18 15:21:00

talleres

Mindstormscreator wrote:

Download this: http://ompldr.org/vZ211Mw
Move to /usr/share/cups/model/
Set up the printer through the CUPS web interface, and when asked for the ppd file, point to that

Thank you very much. With the above steps could solve my problem that could only print "unable to open the initial device quitting" with the same printer (HP B210) connected via wifi.

Yo T vi salir campeón InTrnacional, yo T di la vuelta en la cara y vi como lloraste y T paraste a aplaudirme. Eso jamas se T va a olvidar.

#5 2012-12-18 21:55:07

Mindstormscreator

talleres wrote:

Thank you very much. With the above steps could solve my problem that could only print "unable to open the initial device quitting" with the same printer (HP B210) connected via wifi.

I guess that now since the printer can be hooked up through the CUPS web interface, wireless printing is now possible.

With that note, this thread is [Solved].

#6 2014-02-02 06:12:50

theOptimizedCoder

I had the same issue as well.
OP's solution worked for me. Got the PPD driver using CUPS' web interface as 'hp-setup -i' wouldn't find it.
Also, I didn't have to physically connect the USB cable to the printer. CUPS web-interface found the B210 over the wireless network and installed it.

#7 2014-02-02 06:37:32

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Please don't necrobump threads: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … Bumping.27

Closing

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

Board footer