You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-02 01:04:10

Meiryousa

how to make this into an arch package?

I have an RPM and I want to convert it into a package which pacman can install or uninstall easily. I downloaded rpmextract and got the files. I'm just unsure what to do... I read I don't need PKGBUILD if there is no source. There is a usr folder with bin and share subdirectories. To install it just needs to move these files to the right system directories. If I choose to uninstall it I don't want to have to go and remove these files individually myself...

#2 2014-02-02 01:12:23

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: how to make this into an arch package?

If you want pacman to manage files, you need a PKGBUILD.

All the best,

-HG

#3 2014-02-02 01:12:35

GloW_on_dub

Whick software if it?

If you want to just use it, you should be able to use it in place.
If you want to make it into a package, you should first read the wiki about it, particularly the package() function.
And you will need a PRKBUILD, not to compile the source, but to create the package correctly and install the files at the right place, so the package can be installed and removed by pacman.

Last edited by GloW_on_dub (2014-02-02 01:15:08)

#4 2014-02-02 01:58:13

dboxall123

Hiya mate,

AUR has an rpm package. I haven't used it, but I installed dpkg for deb files from there and that worked ok.

Good luck,

-Dan

Last edited by dboxall123 (2014-02-02 01:59:12)

#5 2014-02-02 04:53:35

Kartious

To be honest... I would stay away from anything that isn't installed by pacman. Pacman audits and records all the events that happens when you install/ remove packages + also safe gaurds breakages (unless -f switch is used). If you use software like Dpkg, APT, RPM, YUM etc all you are doing is building a rod for your own back....greatly increasing the change of breakage of the system... to me personally... using third party package managers falls under the partial updates are not supported rule... but I am happy to be reinformed or corrected.

#6 2014-02-02 05:20:00

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Kartious wrote:

to me personally... using third party package managers falls under the partial updates are not supported rule

I don't believe it falls under that rule. But, using package managers that are not pacman is certainly unsupported. Do it if you'd like, but if you do, then do not expect people here to take a lot of pity on you when bad things happen.

Seriously, PKGBUILDs are meant to be very simple to make, and they're the only sane way to do this. If you want something to be located in /usr (excepting /usr/local), write a PKGBUILD.

All the best,

-HG

Last edited by HalosGhost (2014-02-02 05:20:21)

#7 2014-02-02 07:06:04

Meiryousa

Ok, so I need to use PKGBUILD to do it. I guess I will need to do some reading.

GloW_on_dub wrote:

Whick software if it?

It is Topogun 2. I can download .tar.gz, .deb or .rpm. It's not open-source.  I used topogun when I was on windows and personally liked it quite a bit that's why I wanted to install it on my arch install. I am willing to try other retopo tools if anyone knows of any. I have blender already and yes it can do retopo it just isn't 1/100th as good for that in my opinion.

#8 2014-02-02 07:26:47

Scimmia
Fellow

Just took a look at it, it doesn't look like it would be too bad to install in a PKGBUILD. Some things need installed to the user's home dir, but there is a separate script that does that. I would make a short script just called topogun that checks if that data has been installed, runs the script if it hasn't, then runs the program. Or you can simply add a post install note that tells the installer to run the script. Whatever you do, do NOT have the PKGBUILD install anything to a user's home dir.

Even though the build seems a bit old, it's not linked to anything that has had an soname bump in a while, so deps shouldn't be too complicated.

Last edited by Scimmia (2014-02-02 07:40:46)

#9 2014-02-02 10:57:04

GloW_on_dub

You should surely use the tar.gz, you need to understand how this software is installed, and write the PKGBUILD wich correspond to it. Have a try at it, take a look at some PKGBUILD in the aur , there is a lot of package wich do not compile from source but just install some files, this for example.
But must important of all, read the wiki, it is quite easy !

You could even publish your package in the aur after that !
I support Scimmia in the way to create the package.

Board footer