You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-05 13:09:41

Jeydon

Updating Broadcom BCM43XX firmware on MacBookPro10,x (tar.gz problem)

I'm attempting to install Arch Linux onto a MacBookPro10,x using the wiki guide along with the beginner's guide. I'm using the method for installing detailed on the USB Flash Installation Media page. I've partitioned the drive, made the basic directories, and mounted all in the usual way. I need to connect to the internet to continue with the installation and to do so the firmware for the Broadcom BCM43XX driver needs to be changed to the package provided in the AUR. This package is in tar.gz format.

I attempted to use:

root@archiso /usr/bin/WirelessFirmware # tar -zxf b43-firmware.tar.gz

to extract the file. This results in:

[ 1818.305115] SQUASHFS error: squashfs_read_data failed to read block 0xd248f70
[ 1818.311499] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read data cache entry [d248f70]

etc. and

zsh: Input/output error: tar

Using

makepkg -si

results in the same type of errors with the addition of

==> ERROR: PKGBUILD does not exist.

I assume there are unavailable dependencies for the tar.gz file. It also seems that the tools necessary to extract the tar.gz file are not working correctly or are unavailable. What are the next steps I should take to get the new firmware package installed and get an internet connection?

Also, I'm very sorry if this question has been asked before or if there is a page about this specifically on the wiki; I did try searching for the information before posting here. I also apologize if my question text was not formatted according to the proper conventions. I have read through the forum etiquette page, but please correct me if I've missed something.

Last edited by Jeydon (2014-02-05 13:20:47)

#2 2014-02-05 16:35:27

WonderWoofy

Re: Updating Broadcom BCM43XX firmware on MacBookPro10,x (tar.gz problem)

I had this problem while installing on an Intel NUC.  It turned out the two RAM modules I put in didn't like each other at all, so they would throw all kinds of errors.  So it resulted in basically acting as though the RAM was bad.  Individually the RAM works fine though.  So maybe you should run memtest86+ to make sure your RAM is okay.

#3 2014-02-05 19:34:28

Jeydon

Re: Updating Broadcom BCM43XX firmware on MacBookPro10,x (tar.gz problem)

I didn't think it was a memory problem considering OSX runs just fine on the machine, but I ran memtest86+ just to check, and all tests passed okay.

Board footer