You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-06 19:46:45

phyle

CPU/GPU related performance issues when animations occur

Hello!

I have a pretty fresh install of Arch and I am encountering a problem regarding the performance of animations.
For example Flash videos, mpv playing 1080p videos (VLC works though), and general animations (dragging a LibreOffice Calc chart in my case) are ridiciously slow/laggy.
Since I don't know whether this is a CPU or GPU related problem please excuse the inaccurate topic title.

My graphics card is an HD 7950 and my processor is an X6 1090T, both from AMD.
I didn't really configure anything for these two parts beyond the install of the xf86-video=ati driver and the lib32 one.
Since the hardware is pretty newish I can imagine that the problem lays in the software part. Maybe the lack of configuration?

I also found out that - according to the top task manager - the X takes up to 50% CPU resources idling.
But it also states that almost every byte of my 16GB RAM is getting used, but I really doubt that.
Maybe I am missunderstanding the type of display they're using.

I also am using Openbox as my WM without an DE. It should therefore be rather resource friendly.

I am really thankful for every thought you people have.

Thank you in advance,
phyle

#2 2014-02-06 23:45:05

ooo

Re: CPU/GPU related performance issues when animations occur

according to phoronix HD 7950 might not work too well with current open source drivers yet.
also X taking 50% of cpu kinda suggests that you might be having a driver issue

You could try if catalyst or development versions of the open source driver stack work better for you, although the latter could be a bit too much if you're just starting with arch.

I would also investigate the almost full RAM issue further. Maybe try if 'free' or other system monitors report the same thing.

Board footer