You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-07 02:11:39

Xik
Member
Registered: 2014-02-07
Posts: 6

[SOLVED] OSD and Subtitles in mplayer are black

Hi Arch Forums, I'm having an issue where the OSD and subtitles in mplayer are black instead of white, I would appreciate any input you may have. This is a partial screen-shot of a video playing with a white background to demostrate:

n0dQTsp.png

All relevant packages are up to date:

3.12.9-2-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 31 10:22:54 CET 2014 x86_64 GNU/Linux
MPlayer SVN-r36498-snapshot-4.8.2 (C) 2000-2013 MPlayer Team
Name           : xf86-video-nouveau
Version        : 1.0.10-2
Name           : nouveau-dri
Version        : 10.0.3-1

Last edited by Xik (2014-02-08 01:03:03)

Offline

#2 2014-02-07 18:57:17

ondoho
Member
Registered: 2013-04-30
Posts: 307

Re: [SOLVED] OSD and Subtitles in mplayer are black

$HOME/.mplayer/config

---------------snip---------------------
ass = "1"
font = "Ubuntu"
ass-border-color=22222244
ass-color=EEEEEE33
ass-font-scale=1
---------------snip---------------------

just an example...
if you don't have that file, copy over a default config from somewhere (/etc/?) and edit.

man mplayer

will tell you more.

Last edited by ondoho (2014-02-07 18:58:50)

Offline

#3 2014-02-08 00:37:41

Xik
Member
Registered: 2014-02-07
Posts: 6

Re: [SOLVED] OSD and Subtitles in mplayer are black

Thanks for the reply ondoho, I had looked into that option from searching the forums and while it can control the subtitle color, it doesn't fix the issue with OSD. The OSD remains black and as far as I can tell there are no mplayer config options to specifically change the OSD color.

Offline

#4 2014-02-08 01:02:13

Xik
Member
Registered: 2014-02-07
Posts: 6

Re: [SOLVED] OSD and Subtitles in mplayer are black

I have found what appears to be the issue, it appears to be an issue with vdpau output. The answer was suggested by this thread, but because it wasn't black and I wasn't passing the vdpau rendering option I had assumed it didn't apply to my situation.

It appears mplayer was using vdpau output by default. Changing output to xv solves the OSD and Subtitle issue in one swoop.

This can be achieved by changing the video output via the command line or by specifying it in the config file.

Command Line:

mplayer -vo xv

Config File:

vo=xv

Result:
2076GPR.png

I will look into adding this into the troubleshooting section of the mplayer wiki page so it can help others.

edit: I have now added this to the mplayer wiki page. Feel free to edit it if you are better with ~words~.

Last edited by Xik (2014-02-08 01:24:03)

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB