You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-06 06:47:59

TheChromedKnight

Package Broadcom driver

I am working on installing arch linux on my mid 2013 Macbook Pro and running into a little issue.

I am trying to install the broadcom wifi driver so that I can have internet access because the macbook has no ethernet.  I put the driver on a flash drive, mounted the flash drive, then tried to package the driver.  This is when I got another error telling me that I needed another package in order to package the file.  It is the wifi driver MBP quagmire.  It would be much appreciated if someone could tell me how to install the .tar.gz driver without pacman, or better yet send me the packaged version.  Thankyou!

#2 2014-02-06 12:45:18

karol
Archivist

Re: Package Broadcom driver

Why did you pick a *-dkms package?
Edit: Are you using a custom kernel? You will need the dkms package too then.
You can download the package from the repos w/o pacman: click 'Download From Mirror' link in the top right of https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/any/dkms/

Why not try broadcom-wl? You do need linux-headers, so you have to put this package on the drive too.

TheChromedKnight wrote:

I got another error telling me that I needed another package in order to package the file.

What package was that? The more info you share, the better we can help.

Last edited by karol (2014-02-06 12:49:03)

#3 2014-02-06 14:43:43

TheChromedKnight

Yes I apologize! Here is my info.  I am not using a custom kernel (as far as I am aware).  I downloaded from the magnet torrent found here Arch Linux Download

Here is the driver version i downloaded https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/br/b … kms.tar.gz only because this is the one the installation guide for 2013 macbook from my original post refereed to. 

Here is what I did to install the driver...

$ curl -O https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/br/broadcom-wl-dkms/broadcom-wl-dkms.tar.gz
$ tar -zxvf broadcom-wl-dkms.tar.gz
$ cd broadcom-wl-dkms
$ makepkg -s

However instead of using "curl -O" inside of arch I downloaded the driver on my native OS and loaded it to a flashdrive

The error I got was "cannot find the strip binary" after the

$ makepkg -s

line.

I will try the direct download when I get home.  Do those downloads have .pkg.tar.gz extensions?

I guess I have 3 possible solutions. 
   Is there a way of me to install the driver without packaging it by moving all of the files to the proper locations and running the right scripts?
   I fix the strip binary issue and package it myself.
   I get a download thats already packaged (I'm hoping thats what that download from mirror provides which will solve everything)

Thankyou!

#4 2014-02-06 14:48:01

karol
Archivist

Please read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR#Prerequisites
You need some more packages.

Last edited by karol (2014-02-06 14:49:08)

#5 2014-02-08 02:09:20

frank604

I know this isn't on topic to your question but I found great success to tether my android phone over usb for installation until I get the wifi driver going.  Just a food for thought.

#6 2014-02-08 02:41:28

dmix

saved my friday night frank604! android tethering works. thanks.

btw, anyone else reading this, connect phone, enable USB debugging in develoiper mode on android, and run this command, and NOT dhcpcd

dhclient usb0

(replace usb0 with whatever ifconfig -a outputs for your phone).

#7 2014-02-08 03:43:48

frank604

Glad my off topic comment helped someone.  I figured if you are using linux, you would sport an android as well.  It saved me many times when travelling.  For me, dhcpcd has always picked it up without any manual intervention.  Just sit back and let it detect it.  Either way, as long as it gets you going is good.  Have a good friday.

Last edited by frank604 (2014-02-08 03:44:39)

Board footer