You are not logged in.

#1 2014-02-09 16:05:17

TWILIGHT_IS_AWESOME

NVIDIA proprietary driver makes my GPU overheat.

I am using the latest driver (yes, my video card, GT 440, is supported by it) available in the repo.

When running Unigine Heaven, it goes from 60°C to 105°C in 3 minutes. At this point the screen turns off and my PC completely freezes.

This happens in lighter stuff too, even in stuff that isn't GPU intensive, like Super Meat Boy.

Funny thing is, when using the nouveau driver, this doesn't happen. I ran some benchmarks, they all made my PC freeze with the proprietary driver, but not with nouveau.

I would use it, but I get terrible performance with it.

Is there a reason and a solution for that? Is there a way I can help you guys help me?

#2 2014-02-09 16:42:27

brebs

Re: NVIDIA proprietary driver makes my GPU overheat.

Here's my shell script to control the Nvidia video card's 3D clock speeds (for processor & RAM). You'd have to adapt it to your own video card's speeds - use nvidia-settings to check its speeds.

Also, undervolt your main CPU, to help with heat reduction.

#3 2014-02-09 16:48:19

progandy

Can you try to adjust the fan speed in nvidia-settings and see if it helps?

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#4 2014-02-09 17:01:42

TWILIGHT_IS_AWESOME

progandy wrote:

Can you try to adjust the fan speed in nvidia-settings and see if it helps?

It doesn't go more than 75% for some reason.

#5 2014-02-10 11:05:06

Rexilion

The reason why the chip is not overheating when running nouveau is because nouveau does not know how to reclock the chip to higher clock speeds. It's performance is low because of this since the memory/gpu clocks stick at their default boot speed. This boot speed is in some cases just 10% of their max performance.

You can force the nvidia driver to use lower clock speeds by default. This could help prevent you from overheating. The driver is, however, stubborn so you have to use xorg.conf to make it systemwide.

http://guilleml.wordpress.com/2011/04/2 … -on-linux/

Furthermore, the fact that it overheats indicates you need to get better cooling or new thermal paste.

fs/super.c : "Self-destruct in 5 seconds.  Have a nice day...\n",

#6 2014-02-10 11:15:21

brebs

Rexilion wrote:

Furthermore, the fact that it overheats indicates

Well, the Nvidia video card's BIOS should be sensibly managing its speed, to be as fast as it can *without* getting dangerously hot.

Take a look at the script I posted, which does just that, and is what I needed when in a very hot climate.

#7 2014-02-10 12:57:23

Rexilion

brebs wrote:
Rexilion wrote:

Furthermore, the fact that it overheats indicates

Well, the Nvidia video card's BIOS should be sensibly managing its speed, to be as fast as it can *without* getting dangerously hot.

Take a look at the script I posted, which does just that, and is what I needed when in a very hot climate.

Your script and the xorg.conf do, in it's essence, the same thing. The script however, needs custom modifications and the 'effort' of starting it. Furthermore, it assumes there is a display running on :0.0 which is not *always* the case.

I did the xorg.conf on my laptop based on another post (I could not find it anymore, sorry). I could see the powermizer bar scale perfectly with the graphical load.

However, I don't have much experience in this field. So the script could still be better for reasons unknown to me.

#8 2014-02-10 13:16:45

brebs

Rexilion wrote:

the same thing.

Kinda, but the big difference is, my script won't (rather stupidly) keep the video speed high, when the video card is in imminent danger of reaching "critical" temperature.

That critical temperature is probably triggered by the motherboard (ACPI).

As an example, my old-ish Intel CPU will halve its speed ("thermal throttling"), with its sensible instinct of self-preservation (preventing physical, permanent damage).

#9 2014-02-10 13:27:44

blackout23

TWILIGHT_IS_AWESOME wrote:

I am using the latest driver (yes, my video card, GT 440, is supported by it) available in the repo.

When running Unigine Heaven, it goes from 60°C to 105°C in 3 minutes. At this point the screen turns off and my PC completely freezes.

This happens in lighter stuff too, even in stuff that isn't GPU intensive, like Super Meat Boy.

Funny thing is, when using the nouveau driver, this doesn't happen. I ran some benchmarks, they all made my PC freeze with the proprietary driver, but not with nouveau.

I would use it, but I get terrible performance with it.

Is there a reason and a solution for that? Is there a way I can help you guys help me?

From what I know the nouveau driver doesn't support reclocking, hence the bad performance and low heat production. It's not really a sign that nouveau does something better than the nvidia driver. Just wanted to clear that up.

You might also want to notify NVIDIA of this problem:

http://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/board/98/linux/

Last edited by blackout23 (2014-02-10 13:28:34)

#10 2014-02-25 02:26:44

TWILIGHT_IS_AWESOME

I am sorry, I completely forgot about this thread.

Using PowerMizer doesn't solve the problem, but delays the shut down a little bit. brebs' script (adapted to my GPU's speed) didn't work at all.

Tomorrow I will try checking if the fans are being obstructed.

#11 2014-02-25 03:50:04

Max-P

TWILIGHT_IS_AWESOME wrote:

Tomorrow I will try checking if the fans are being obstructed.

Definitely do that. The card should be able to keep itself cool even under max load. The driver is capable of handling slight heat issues over time by raising the fan speed up to a certain point, but after that it's just not programmed to handle such bad conditions. Even if it doesn't look dirty or obstructed, clean your graphic card (and computer overall) as much as you can. Use compressed air if possible to get rid of all the dust you can.

I had a couple laptops going from 105 to 60-70 just by cleaning it. Just a small amount of extra air can make a big difference.

#12 2014-02-27 02:27:50

TWILIGHT_IS_AWESOME

I cleaned my PC, the fans are not obstructed.

Everything is fine, hardware-wise. But the GPU is still overheating.

I don't know what to do.

#13 2014-02-27 03:51:03

Grinch

I wonder if this is related to my current problem, as of updating to 3.13.5 (perhaps it was in 3.13.4, I upgraded late) my GPU fan (NVidia 9600GT) seems to randomly decide to lower it's speed to hardly moving, and as it gets warmer the other fans starts going into a higher drive to compensate for the increased heat leading to MORE noise than I used to have, also it doesn't help the GPU which will continue to climb in heat until it reaches over 80 and then the GPU fan will kick in again at higher speed and bring it down to around 45 (celcius).

Again this pattern is repeated randomly as far as I can tell, it has nothing to do with me pressuring the GPU or not.

I checked the Arch bugs and someone else has the same problem, however on a laptop (mine is a desktop / tower) https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/39005

I'm running Nouveau and tried switching to the NVidia proprietary driver, but the same thing happens there.

#14 2014-02-27 11:25:22

Rexilion

You could do a git bisect. But it is kind off odd that this is happenning with both the drivers.

Board footer