You are not logged in.

#1 2013-02-04 04:10:45

jimnutt

PXE Install Hangs at Mirror Selection

Ok, I've followed the directions at https://releng.archlinux.org/pxeboot/ for setting up a PXE boot, everything goes fine, the PXE finds the DHCP and TFTP server, downloads the ipxe.pxe image and executes it.  I get the menu to select what I want to install and choose "Official Release (32 bit)", that then takes me to a mirror list. I scroll through the mirrors and find one relatively close (mirror.rit.edu) and hit enter. It's at this point that things fail and I'm not sure why. The files listed in the options are available at the address listed, so it's not just a mirror problem. I've also tried hosting the files locally and editing the options on a mirror site to point to the local source, but no joy there either. This is an older Dell latitude C400, perhaps a network card issue with ipxe?

#2 2013-02-04 04:37:57

jimnutt

Re: PXE Install Hangs at Mirror Selection

I'm still curious as to an answer for this, but I decided to just host the archiso locally and followed these directions: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … pxe-server

#3 2013-02-04 14:16:43

nomorewindows

I'd just try a different mirror.   I was able to get it working.  I think I used kernel.org.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#4 2013-02-04 16:49:57

jimnutt

I tried several different mirrors with no luck. No matter, I got it to boot with the other PXE instructions. Now I just have to get the installed version to boot..

#5 2013-02-04 16:58:16

nomorewindows

jimnutt wrote:

I tried several different mirrors with no luck. No matter, I got it to boot with the other PXE instructions. Now I just have to get the installed version to boot..

You did install a bootloader didn't you?

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#6 2014-02-10 09:34:51

na5m

This is an old post, but it isn't marked as "solved" and the OP is describing the exact same problem that I am having. Using ipxe_text.iso, I get as far as the OP and then I arrow down to the mirror that is closest to me, I hit the "enter" key and BOOM! nothing happens. I am still at the mirror select screen. And I am still free to arrow up/down. But any mirror I settle on and hit "enter" the same thing happens. Just a quick screen-flash and then I am back at the mirror select screen (or rather, STILL at the mirror select screen).
Totally frustrated. Can anyone help?

And nomorewindows, how can I install a boot loader at the beginning of a raw net install? Please help!

Let's go check out Hades!

#7 2014-02-10 14:38:41

trident25

I have had this same problem. It is because the current list of mirrors that is downloaded is out of date.

What you need to do is select the mirror that you want to download from, and press TAB. You will then get the URL displayed on the screen that is trying to be downloaded. There is a date included in the URLs, you need to edit these to reflect the correct date. You can see the correct date by manually browsing to the mirrors using a web browser on another machine.

So basically, its because the ipxe is trying to download an image that no longer exists on the mirrors. By editing the URL that is trying to be downloaded you can correct this issue and cause a newer image to be downloaded.

#8 2014-02-11 08:03:38

na5m

Thanks, trident! Your solution worked perfectly :-)
I wonder if we can get this thread can be marked as "Solved" ?

#9 2014-02-11 18:56:48

trident25

jimnutt will need to edit the post and add [solved] into the subject. Or a forum admin.

More importantly we need to get the pxe config file that is downloaded updated.

#10 2014-02-11 19:12:12

progandy

trident25 wrote:

jimnutt will need to edit the post and add [solved] into the subject. Or a forum admin.

More importantly we need to get the pxe config file that is downloaded updated.

There is already a bugreport: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/38770?project=6

Last edited by progandy (2014-02-11 19:13:26)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#11 2014-02-12 08:52:26

na5m

I definitely agree that this is a bug. Glad it's been reported already. It shouldn't be all that hard to fix, in which case, this thread will be moot. Thanks, all.

Board footer