You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-07 00:20:34

skeeter

Cleaning up file system

YES, I know this is a stoopid noob question BUT, I'm getting some bad blocks error after a certain number of reboots and I'm clueless about how to repair them.  Any man page or How-To that I should look for. I've never had to do this b4 in Linux, only in Windoze. Be Kind with your replies.  :oops:

Skeeter

Rule #1:  There are NO RULES!

#2 2004-02-07 00:29:42

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Cleaning up file system

Bad block errors or it's just fsck'ing your partitions?  If it's just fsck, that's what it's supposed to do.  It's a property of the partition; after a certain numer of remounts it's supposed to scan it.  You can turn it off.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-02-07 00:37:52

skeeter

@ Xentac 
Sorry about the confusion there. It's actually both. Can you point me in the right direction to fix the bad blocks.  And then once I've got it cleaned up where do I turn off the fsck feature?   Also, is there a standard file chk that NEEDS to be done periodically?  Fsck or otherwise.  I'm sorry to say I don't know the basics for maintaining my system here.  Or is it even needed in Linux?  Feels like I skipped over some important parts somewhere but maybe I'm just paranoid. wink

Skeeter

#4 2004-02-07 01:01:34

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

I've never had to fix badblocks before, but there should be a program that's available called badblocks.

About a periodic filesystem check, that's exactly what fsck is doing.  You're telling me you want to turn it off and then run it periodically anyway?  Doesn't that seem a liitle silly?

Usually, if you're running a journaled filesystem you don't need to fsck, but it's put in there just in case.  To turn it off for an ext2/3 filesystem, I believe you need to use mke2fs, but I don't want to offer any syntax just in case I get it wrong and erase your partition... wink

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2004-02-07 01:28:55

skeeter

@ Xentac
Thanks for the info on badblocks. I'll chk the man pages and if I need further help will post back.  I didn't mean I wanted to turn it off. Only if it wasn't needed or something else was used.  Since that seems like the built-in default I'll stick with that, I'm trying to keep everything up to date but utilize all the built-in services that AL offers (Pacman, fsck, etc.)  This is good news, because it's already doing the job. I just need to repair or fix those bad blocks and I'm back up 100%.  Thanks again.

Skeeter

Board footer