You are not logged in.

#26 2006-01-25 05:37:13

ozar

Re: How am I supposed to choose between all these DE's?

iphitus wrote:

You will find that over time you use a big one, kde or gnome for something.... and you revert... and it starts allll over again.

Or at least thats how it works for me smile

Same here... guess I get bored too easily because I change to something else about every other week.  It used to be distros, and while I do still experiment with others, I'm never off of Arch for more than a day.

Currently, Arch and Fvwm have a pretty tight grip on my system.

oz

#27 2006-01-25 13:04:58

postlogic
Website

I run with Fvwm and Openbox. Mostly Openbox, since I haven't gotten around to set up Fvwm the way I want it just yet, but it's starting to look sweet as hell.

If you're a minimalist, Openbox is -the- way to go, in my opinion. So is Fvwm, though, if you want it to ;-)

#28 2006-01-25 16:22:00

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

SleepyDog wrote:

I switch between larsWM, wmii, and rio

rio! SleepyDog, you never cease to amaze me.

For me, I use ratpoison and wmii (90% and 10% respectively)... just note that whenever people ask me about WMs and I say 'ratpoison', they start it up and go "WTF IS THIS!?", so maybe you shouldn't try it.

Although, wmii is nice.

#29 2006-01-29 18:24:50

jaboua

About thunar vs rox debate, I used rox for a month or so but I didn't really like it very much - imo thunar is a lot better. But something I'd like to see in thunar is a smb/ftp client integrated ala the kioslaves in KDE.

ATM I'm using KDE and I love it.

#30 2006-01-29 19:47:29

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Just yesterday I switched from E16 to XFCE4.  System seems snappier, and I'm liking it.  Plus, I didn't realize how much I missed a full DE over a WM until I tried it out.

#31 2006-01-29 20:53:43

slackhack

another xfce4 + rox user here, with xbindkeys for kb shortcuts.

on my laptop, it's "fluxrox" big_smile plus fbpager, which is a really good combo. very functional.

i've used xfce for a couple of years now, but flux is slowly but surely starting to win out. i seem to start everything with kb shortcuts and right-click menu (or through a terminal) and hardly ever use the xfce panel anymore. so as much as i like xfce, even that is starting to seem like overkill once you get hooked on kb shortcuts.

#32 2006-02-05 22:35:25

bneate

Just thought I should add to this thread as no one has said anything about e17.  I've been using e17 for about 6 months now and have got to say that I love it.  It's always been very responsive and besides the odd segfault(which only requires you click restart on the dialog that pops up not even restarting the X session) its been very stable.  It also comes with some very nice eye candy and modules.  I am a fan of the light wieght window managers and have tryed everything from pekwm which was very nice just not enought eye candy to keep me around to gnome and kde which always feel way to bulky and bloated.  I would highly recomend e17 to anyone who is looking around for a new WM as long as you are familiar with compiling your own packages and dont mind using software that is still in heavy development.

#33 2006-02-06 15:15:01

Laen

I've used XFCE4, fluxbox, e16, e17, KDE, IceWM, Gnome...

Xfce got me to use it for quite a while, although I'm suspecting that the flashing mouse at logon was the main reason for this lol. But I never really use the xfce panel. Xfce also seems a little "flat" to my taste, no matter how good some themes are.
Currently using Fluxbox, simply cause it does everything I want it to do and I also love how quickly it loads. Combined with adesklets, it becomes as functional as I need it. And I also really like the minimalistic feel it gives.
E17 really amazed me at how quick it can be despite of all the eye candy. The only thing I couldn't get used to was the missing system tray, which makes programs that use it feel a little awkward. I also couldn't quite get used to the window focus. I think e16 was more easily configurable in that department.

And slightly off topic... I never managed to like the Rox file manager. I guess I'm too used to the functionallity of two-panel ones, so I'm sticking with Krusader for now.

#34 2006-02-08 00:10:09

jeebusroxors
Website

Im a big flux guy...

Remember its got KDE support. I use ammarok with it with no problems (minus the ones in ammarok heh)

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

#35 2006-02-08 03:42:30

mac57
Website

While we are off topic...

Somewhere on one of these posts, I discovered a new twin panel file manager that I had never heard of before - tuxcmd (tux commander). You can get it from tuxcmd.sourceforge.net, and apparently an earlier version is also in AUR. tuxcmd is a very nice looking, very functional twin panel file manager, dependant only on GTK. As a result, it loads and runs very quickly. A nice addition to my file management arsenal. Thought I would pass it along.

Cast off the Microsoft shackles Jan 2005

#36 2006-02-08 23:02:55

Lone_Wolf

tuxcmd website : latest news entry is dated 2005-03-26.

Almost a year has gone bye-bye since then.

going to test icewm this weekend

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer